What Are You Planting In 2017???

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Newaygo1, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Jet08

Jet08

I will be concentrating on nursing my second year stand of Big Blue, Indiangrass, and CIR Switch. I will also be looking to put another 250 cedars and 250 SA in the ground.

I certainly underestimated the damage the bucks were going to cause on the cedars that were planted the last two years..

brewster likes this.
  2. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Being there Several Bears in the Area I was informed that BUTTERNUT would be a good food source for Bears as well as other Wildlife!
    Newaygo1

3. Jdhunttrapfish

Jdhunttrapfish

Anybody for oats, wheat or rye? I'm thinking of trying some next year, good idea or don't mess around with them?

4. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

Oats are a favorite food choice for any whitetail, but die when the frost hits them. There are many kinds of oats and some are much better than others. Wheat and rye go great mixed together. Rye is probably the easiest to plant as you can thought it on bare dirty and it will grow.

Jdhunttrapfish likes this.
  5. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Country feed in Mio had RR sugar beat seed this year.

6. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Oats planted early are good. As mentioned die with frost. Will remain standing and deer love the seed heads. Added benifit is light straw color of standing oats is the deer are easily seen in low light conditions.
    I usually plant oats clover rye mix mid June after turing spring buckwheat planting in. Further over seed with rye a couple of times (Sept/Oct)

polish.polka.prince likes this.
  7. buktruk

buktruk

Thanks, I might have to check them out in the spring.

8. If I can recover and walk by spring I have big plans for my farm. My plan was to plant about 300 apple and pair trees and fence the whole area in with an 8ft high fence. Plant a pine screen along the edge of a 4acre food plot. Remove about two acres of brush to connect two small food plots into one larger food plot to add more food. Plant 12 acres of plots and what ever else I can add. I have 3 1/2 miles of trails on my farm I want to plant to a clover alfalfa mix. Trying to get as much food out of my farm as possible. I also want to hinge cut some bedding areas. I also want to add a few watering holes in some of my food plots. It's like ordering food! My eye's are bigger than my stomach!

TJD and polish.polka.prince like this.
  9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

My daughter gets married in early June. After that I'm sure I can spare some time to give you a helping hand. Not having to scout for elk will free up some time.

johnhunter247 likes this.
  10. I am thinking about having Jeff Sturgis come out. I think I could really benefit from all his knowledge. Thank you for the offer.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  11. brokentines

brokentines

Food and Cover. ...I know it sounds simple, but I try to plant a few crabapples and chestnut trees every year. I transplant free red and white pines to mix in my old field growth.

12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Several members have warned about planting apple and pear trees together. Check that out. I can understand planting 30 apple trees for deer and fencing them instead of caging, but 300 ???
    You clearly have knowledge about hunting and habitat, why would you need to hire someone to tell you what you already know ?

L & O

13. My wife wants an apple and pear orchard. It's going to be on the side of the barn. It's not really for the deer. She is into making jams and canning and wants to try to make a small business out of it. So that one isn't really for the deer. More about keeping her happy for moving to Iowa. Were going to start with around that many tree's give or take and if it takes off then we will add more from there. I am planting the tree's, setting up an irrigation system and putting up the fence to keep the wildlife out. The rest is up to here. I didn't know anything about planting pear next to apple. I guess I need to read up on that. Thanks. As far as having Jeff out, I do know quite a bit about habitat mostly from reading on here and trial and error. But you can never know enough and I would love to have him look over my paradise and know his thoughts and what he would do. Actually I love opinions and advise from anyone. I have 130 acres of timber and heavy brush on my farm and 40 acres of crp. I can sit anywhere on my farm on any day just about and see 140" deer. I want to hold as many deer as possible. I want the deer to have no reason to want to leave my place. I know one problem I have for sure that I need to address. It's water! In the dead of summer when it's hot and drought conditions my creek's dried up this past summer. So I want to somehow address that. But I have read Jeff's books and I think he can be a valuable resource.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    polish.polka.prince likes this.
  14. If someone that knows about the draw backs of mixing apple and pear tree's that L&O is talking about and could fill me in that would be great. Or tell me where to look to read up on it. Thanks.

15. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

What I can remember was a concern about fire blight:

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7414.html

http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intropp/lessons/prokaryotes/Pages/FireBlight.aspx

Looks like both apples and pears can get the disease. I'm not seeing anything in the articles about not planting them close to one another. May have missed that too as I scanned the articles.

L & O

johnhunter247 likes this.