What am I getting wrong on this rod/reel/line/tactic combo?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by B.Jarvinen, May 18, 2020.

1. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

I put a 40 series Pflueger 'President' XT reel (the red ones) on a 7' St. Croix Medium rod. The shop spooled it up for free and I went with 8# test Maxima Ultragreen.

I selected the reel as I have liked a smaller Pflueger (the blue 'President') on an UltraLight rod and it seems like it is going to last far longer than all the random yard sale specials I put on UltraLights in the past. It is also my 2nd President XT as I work towards having a set of 3 of them for surf fishing so that one day one can become a zombie parts reel for the other 2 perhaps. Have been good reels so far.

I picked the 7' rod for fishing Lake Superior Coho running 3-5# on small inland streams. I don't need to feel for a bite drifting big holes or cast long distances; I just want to muscle the fish into the frying pan before they can wrap line on something. A '40' is perhaps a bigger reel than is really needed on a 7' rod and it does look a little goofy; I don't plan to cast spoons with that rod but I do want to sometimes just switch the reel onto one of my long 'Celilo' rods from Okuma that I like quite a bit for use at the beach or the pier.

Last week I was able to get a few hours on some short Lake Superior streams and as fresh Chrome was a definite possibility at any spot I fished, I went with this rod reel combo and messed around with either spinners or just a leaf worm on a #8 hook with one small split-shot (which did catch me a beautiful fresh Steelie).

And that latter option wasn't working too great as the Maxima just wanted to tangle all the time on the short little casts, sometimes just trying to flip the worm into a tight spot, rather than a full max distance over-hand cast.

I do not think I would have had so many line problems using the same tactics on a 5' ultralight with 4# test.

The reel was full all the way out to the edge of the spool. Too full?

Am I just not used to fishing the stiffer Medium action rod?

I caught a good amount of those Coho last fall on that set up, but was throwing #5 spinners, or crawlers or skein or sacs with or without a slip bobber, and don't remember any problems with the same short distance fishing. Is a basically light load up on the tackle just not going to with that rod? Or is the line test weight too high for such a light load?

2. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

IMO your reel was too full. My reels do not function properly with that much line.

3. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Yes. Sounds like too full.

6thMichCav likes this.
  4. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

That was my best guess too, but don’t recall ever using such a heavier set up for just a leaf worm, sinker, and hook. So, had to wonder. Probably will watch the capacity on which XT I use in streams going forward.

5. riverman

riverman

Run hot water on the spool. Maxi is pretty stiff line and has a lot of memory at first use.

6. riverman

riverman

imo original Stren lo vis green is hard to beat for trout spinning reels and i am a huge Maxi fan

7. tincanary

tincanary

Sufix Advance is another really good mono, low stretch and low visibility. I run the 4lb on my spinning reels, but I do like Maxima 4lb on my baitcasters better since it's thinner and I can fit more on the shallow spools I use.

8. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Even better when you drop the spool into a bowl of hot water and let it soak in.

9. Fishndude

Fishndude

They did a crappy job of spooling up your line. You should always spool to within 1/8" of the edge of the spool - not to the edge. All you need to do to fix this, is peel off some line until you have that edge to keep your line from blowing off the reel. Maxima is good line, but it is stiffer than XL (extra limp) lines, and will cause issues if the spool is overloaded.

Going forward, just spool up your own line. It is cheaper, and pretty simple to do. Lots of people come up with crafty mechanisms to do it. I like simplicity. I just use a pencil or pen through the spool of line, which I hold with my toes (yes, I do), and I use a wet rag to hold some tension on the line with the hand that is holding the rod (while the other hand reels). The wet rag cleans the line as it is spooled, and helps it lie flatter, and the slight tension keeps it from imbedding when I fight a fish. I can adjust tension on the spool with my feet/toes easily. I can strip a spool of line, and reel up new line on most spinning rods in about 6-8 minutes, max.

5eyes likes this.