Wetlands logging

Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by hawgeye, Oct 16, 2020.

1. hawgeye

hawgeye

I was wondering if it's legal to add some fill to improve a trail for logging purposes?

Sent from my moto z3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. fowl

fowl

Call EGLE.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

3. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Your forester, if he has any experience at all, will be able to see what you already have and answer your questions. If not a designated wetland and is on your own property the response will likely be "no problem" when it comes to fill. Just a word on that though. Trucks and or skidders can beat the living #@$% out of a trail road, especially if it isn't dry or frozen. Adding fill after a logging job often works out better than adding before. Your forester can and should put language in your contract to cover your tail as it relates to road damage and time of year logging can take place. The performance bond held by the forester might be thought of as a "stick" if the road specs (or any specs) in the contract are not followed.

Also, mining, farming, and forestry can operate under slightly more liberal rules than the general public when it comes to wetland permitting requirements, but there are still guidelines that must be followed.

If trying to use logging as an excuse to build a PERMANENT road through what is truly a "regulated" wetland for development or strictly recreationally purposes without jumping through the permitting hoops, the road would not be legal. FM

on a call likes this.
  4. hawgeye

hawgeye

Thanks for the detailed response. I was just curious. It's only a 15 acre parcel and most places want a minimum of 10. It has a lot of nice pine trees but half of them are on the other side of a swampy area. I thought they could do minimal improvements to access it but wasn't sure. I also have 3 acres across the stream, I'm not sure if it would be worth the hassle accessing it. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my moto z3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. smith34

smith34

Crane mats are usually available to the timber harvest guys to help span and get thru some of the wetter areas without tearing things up too much and still get the work done too. There are options out there for access without damaging the wetlands or necessarily needing special permits, depending on the situation

6. grapestomper

grapestomper

You can get a logging permit pretty easily.
    Logs laid down and sand over top works well. If you use filter fabric under the sand it will last a long time.