close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West side surf report

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by salmon_slayer06, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Catfish keats

Catfish keats

Fished WSP today from sunrise to 1:30pm. 3 bites between about 5-6 guys. No hook ups. Some of the bites may have been whities, but mine was a solid double smack. Nobody home when i got there. Perfect conditions on the south side today. River water covering the beach but the fish never really showed up. Yesterday we got blown off... first two pier trips of the season with two blanks. At it again tomorrow morning. This time last year it was hot where i am fishing.

2. MGump

MGump

Fished a SW beach on Friday morning. Was surprised at how few cars were parked when I pulled in at 6:45. Talking to a couple of the local guys the fishing for steelhead has been pretty poor from the pier and beach, thus the lack of fishermen. Given what I heard, I felt very lucky to land one nice hen, and lost a smaller fish. Both came on king eggs in pink bags, nothing on coho or steel spawn. Only saw 5 other fish landed between the pier and the beach. Seems like a year to appreciate every fish you catch as they seem to be few and far between on the beach or pier. I would assume that if the rivers settle down, they should be holding some fish.

3. koditten

koditten

4. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I’m glad it’s not just my area that has been off. Yesterday was perfect conditions; overcast, WNW wind 10-20, and pressure in the 29’s. Only two adults and 5-6 skippers landed between 7 people. Last Friday was pretty good late morning-early afternoon, but still a lot slower than it should be. I’ve had chinook, coho and brown spawn out. None have stood out; they’ve all had their days.

5. hypox

hypox

Fished a SW beach today for a few hours and no bites.

6. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

Where’s the 20fish days? Seems like at least one outing in November should be at least close to that . Hasn’t happened to me yet this year

7. surfstalker

surfstalker

If you are catching any steelies this year, you should feel Blessed. By far the worst year I've seen in my nearly 45 years of surf fishing. I've been crazy busy with work and only made it out 3 times so far and beached my first and only bite last Friday. By comparison, my best fall steelhead season is 364 steelies and worst until now is 27 fish. My buddies that fish regular have also reported nothing but terrible trips. I have 2 maybe 3 trips left this season before I have to hang it up for the year and really hoping some fish show up.

The part that really concerns me is that the guys that ran deep this fall in my area couldn't find them either. Really hoping the poor fishing is related to the clay turbid water and not an overexploitation repeat of the early 90's.

8. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

The lake has been a mess so far this fall. Seems like its always blowing too hard or the water is murky as heck because it was blowing too hard.

I've found 3 steel head so far. 2 little skippers and one 6lb hen. Got out a fair bit in the beginning of the month, but the deer hunting bug always seems to bite hard sometime each fall and I get stuck in deer mode until December

9. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Beauiful today, lotsa people out. WSW wind sending the plume right to The Onion (local reference), but I never stop down there to see if anyone is fishing and I am still stuck at just 1.5 / 3 good beach rods, though I have some Coho spawn in the freezer.

On the pier, two guys each had 2 fish, at least one was a Skip. The guys on the beach “were running around too.”

Water temp was now 44 as compared to 42 on Turkey Day. No bumps on the 6-orange-dot Glow Cleo though.

koditten likes this.
  10. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

Bunch of fish out front at the shelf. Heard this today.

koditten likes this.
  11. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Need consistent NW cold winds......not enough to cool off the lake yet. Could be a merry XMas / Happy New year run.

12. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

IMG_2377.JPG As of late mostly skipper size steelhead. Not too many silver fish being caught noticed more drop backs. Would love to be there when they move in. Seen some alewives washed up on the beach could it be large number out front holding out till bait leaves I don't know. I've had good days mid December maybe than it will happen weather depending. King still producing steelhead taking fish too....

13. Munuscool

Munuscool

Gorgeous fish! Congrats

14. jpmarko

jpmarko

Yes, nice fish.

15. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

IMG_2293.JPG IMG_2335.JPG Going to attempt it this weekend. It's full blown winter now. Probably my last trip. Saturday probably a small window but Sunday looks good. The date tells me game on but the current weather tells me it's over unless you are local.

Attached Files: