West coast newbe seeking centerpin rod help.

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Austin Bowen, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Austin Bowen

Austin Bowen

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas. This will be my introductory post as well. I have followed this forum for a little while looking up info on using a centerpin and I'm impressed. Well moderated ,low drama, and helpful people. So from a west coast pinning newbe, Thank you.

Now to the good stuff. Please forgive me if it's been discussed, but in my searches some of the rods I've considered there it very limited info available. Ive been using what I have on hand to get some casting practice my under belt. Iv been using a lamiglas x11 10'6" ML and will keep it for close quarters. Now I'm ready to bump it up to somthing a little more proper. This is strictly for steelhead, but around here there is always a chance of a rogue coho or chinook but I'm not to worried about it. I've been looking at rods and have narrowed the field of rods down. Where I live there are no places to put hands on any to compare. Traveling for work is the only time I can get my hands on any and that is even limited to a few. Will be for 5-10 gram range and anywhere from 2'-8'. This will not be a full time gig for me as I use other methods as well so I'm not looking to spend $150-200+.

I have narrowed it down some to these. All are 13'-13'6". Okuma sst,shimano clarus, bloodrun skein cane,streamside vortex and. x-stream. I want sliding rings. Criticism or other recommendations are welcome. Thank you for anyhelp.

Fishndude likes this.
  2. jonnyb

jonnyb

It also depends on the river you will be fishing. Are you planning on wadding in spots or drift boat? When I wadder fish in the small rivers I use an 11 foot rod when I use my drift boat I use my 13 foot st. Croix.

When you walk into areas to fish a 13 foot heavy rod like the okuma it can wear on you and get caught up in spots. I personally love my 11 foot rods

Fishndude likes this.

3. jonnyb

jonnyb

And welcome!!

4. Austin Bowen

Austin Bowen

Thank you. I will be walking in. I would use my 10'6" in the boat or tight spots. The rivers i wade and fish have lots of open bank, med size rivers,tricky water with multiple seam lines at times. Is yours a avid?

5. jonnyb

jonnyb

Yes it is I've been very happy with it. Many of the rivers I fish dont have an open bank so it gets tricky. Going back to your original question I have fished the okuma rod I think it's a good low priced rod. I dont have experience with any of the other rods. Good luck on steel this winter !!

Benz likes this.
  6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Welcome to wonderful way of fishing, and a great site, lot's of info available.

Of the rods you mentioned I have only fished the Clarus, I bought it as a back up and the fact that it was a 4 pc. rod made it convenient for travel. The rod that I had was the early version and I understand that the new ones are a bit softer in the tip, which shouldn't hurt except maybe on large fish. I used this rod for both Steel and Salmon on the west Mi. rivers and it worked fine at the time.
    Of the other rods I have heard good things about the Streamside rods for a low priced rod, don't know anything about the warranties.

7. Benz

Benz

I second the St. Croix Avid. It's bit more than you are looking to spend but it's a rod with a lifetime warranty, so it's an investment that will pay for itself. It's very light, strong, and sensitive. I am on my second one. The first blew up after 3 years or so of hard use and more than its fair share of abuse. I think St. Croix charged me $50 to send me a complete new rod. I only had the handle and 6" of the rod left and they had no issue replacing it. I only use it for steelhead and mainly float 8g floats with beads. I use 16# bloodrun mainline and 10# bloodrun flouro leader and have no problems handling big fish.

I have an SST bc and like it for kings but it is getting worn out from use. My buddy uses his for steelhead and after 3 year or so his is doing the same. More flex, less backbone.

I like St. Croix and most of my rods are from them. The Avid series are my favorite for bass and steelhead, and with the warranty it's not the end of the world when you break one. Let us know which you go with and good luck!