West Bay smallies

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by FishMichv2, Jun 16, 2020.

1. FishMichv2

FishMichv2 Premium Member

Went out on West Bay after work today. I'm really interested in getting into vertical jigging the bay for coldwater species but chose to stick with what I knew and chased bass. No big numbers but all quality fish. Water was 62 in close and 58 out in the open. Saw that one guy with that fancy Toyota/Bass Pro Shops/Nitro rig out there as well. I apologize for the shirtless pic, try to focus on the fish. IMG_20200616_183448.jpg

Stubee, 7x57, johnIV and 6 others like this.
  2. branden van dyke

branden van dyke

I too would like to get into jigging lakers, but I’ve never fished either bay and would like to target smallies first. Thinking a Friday Saturday the next couple weeks. What depth should I target if you don’t mind sharing? Tubes, Blades? Thanks

FishMichv2 likes this.

3. Bigbass201

Bigbass201

Heck of a smallmouth. Probably KVD that you saw out there!

FishMichv2 and johnIV like this.
  4. 7x57

7x57

Great looking smallie

FishMichv2 likes this.
  5. FishMichv2

I've been getting them on tubes of various colors and suspending jerkbaits. Fish on the bay are currently pre spawn or in the act it seems.

branden van dyke and Bigbass201 like this.
  6. FishMichv2

I believe it was. I've ran into him before at a local brewery. Heck of a nice guy. I've never seen anyone dock and load a boat so quickly.

branden van dyke likes this.
  7. johnIV

johnIV

He's a big lake hopper. He don't stay on a body of water long if he's not locked on fish. He has 30 lakes in that area that he jumps around on. He'll fish 6-7 in one day if necessary. One thing for sure is, he'll find fish eventually. It's pretty amazing how many more fish a pro can catch vs a recreational fisherman. Hell, I think I'm doing great but he's catching 5 fish to my one. He's a walking clinic no matter what body of water he's fishing on for Bass. Very impressive. There's a few of those Michigan guys that lake hop alot in that region. All phenomenal fisherman.

8. mhergott82

mhergott82

Bigbass201 likes this.
  9. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

Yea he has been up for a few days. Been local most of the year with tournies canceled

Bigbass201 likes this.