Well question.

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by StevenJ, Oct 6, 2020.

  1. on a call

    on a call

    Messages:
    5,277
    Likes Received:
    3,802
    Location:
    Live north of Detroit, work in Toledo

    Personally I think you might have iron...Iron turns black after oxygen hits it. I would have it tested.
     
  2. big show

    big show

    Messages:
    619
    Likes Received:
    177
    Location:
    here
    It is easier and drier to connect the air compressor hose directly to the well pipe by using a few reducers. Once enough pressure builds, the sand point will clear itself.
     
    Liver and Onions likes this.

  3. StevenJ

    StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

    Messages:
    4,704
    Likes Received:
    3,159
    I definitely, unquestionably have a lot of iron. I don't need to confirm that, right?
     
    on a call likes this.
  4. Plumman

    Plumman

    Messages:
    375
    Likes Received:
    706
    Location:
    Standish
    As a former water treatment tech I am certain you have a build up of iron algae , manganese or both in the well and water distribution piping from your well water which will produce the black oily substances you described. Very common problem in Michigan. The only solution that will correct the black water condition would be to have a water treatment system installed in the home along with regular maintenance flushing of the water storage tank and pump. Though if you have multiple minerals present in the well water it could get pretty pricey. The first step, if the black water is something you want to get rid of,
    Is have the well water tested to see what minerals, algaes or bacteria are in water. This should be done by a good water treatment company. Then they can tell you what type if equipment will be required.
     
    CrawlerHarness likes this.
  5. StevenJ

    StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

    Messages:
    4,704
    Likes Received:
    3,159
    Thanks Plumman. I appreciate it.

    The fact is I don't need to or want to clear the situation. For outside watering and flushing the toilets.

    I only use the water for occasional visits as opposed to drinking it.

    But on another question--It is a thing to pour bleach down the well head or have a well company treat the system? Or some other treatment I can do?

    Or maintenance to prevent rusting of something down under the ground in the well head?

    In other words, should I do something active rather than being passive.

    And just to re-iterate the flow of water is fine. No lack of good flow through the pump or outlets.
     
  6. Liver and Onions

    Liver and Onions

    Messages:
    18,672
    Likes Received:
    8,382
    Location:
    Mi.
    I would bleach the well. Very easy and inexpensive. From many years of experience, your water will look terrible after each bleaching, but it clears up after a few minutes.

    L & O
     
  7. Plumman

    Plumman

    Messages:
    375
    Likes Received:
    706
    Location:
    Standish
    If the well has a iron algae or bacteria problem chlorinating the well will be a temporary fix, would need to done regularly. How often, yearly, five years that depends on how bad a case it is. Normally when chlorinating a well the chlorine would have to be introduced to the bottom of the well by the use of tablets. Then agitate the well by pumping to ensure the chlorine is distributed throughout the well casing. After that it has set for a minumum of 24 hrs. And flushed for several hrs. All of the chlorine needs to be flushed from the well before using even for personal hygiene use. I recommend you contact a well company to do this, as they are required to do that when installing a new well. Good luck.
     
    StevenJ likes this.
  8. on a call

    on a call

    Messages:
    5,277
    Likes Received:
    3,802
    Location:
    Live north of Detroit, work in Toledo
    Are you drinking it ?? If so, stop. Remember what happened to Eddie VanHalen
     
  9. StevenJ

    StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

    Messages:
    4,704
    Likes Received:
    3,159
    I never drink it. At all. Except for that two times in 13 years that I rinsed my toothbrush with it.
     
  10. Stand By

    Stand By

    Messages:
    559
    Likes Received:
    403
    Location:
    Gaylord
    Sounds like you just shocked the system as mentioned earlier. If you're worried about your point being bad, get a 5 gallon bucket. Running just off the pump (bladder tank empty), time how long it takes to fill it. Depending on your depth, 4-5 gallons a minute is good for a 1/2 horse pump. If there is a T at the top of the point, you can drop a line to measure depth. You'll want to know both overall depth and water level. The point is about 4 ft long and should be fully submerged while the pump is running, but you didn't mention losing prime while running, so it's probably ok. If its straining and filling the bucket slowly, it might be time to replace the point.
     
  11. Sasquatch Lives

    Sasquatch Lives

    Messages:
    6,117
    Likes Received:
    6,277
    Location:
    Central MI
    A coworker bought a new/old farmhouse also and drank the well water without having it tested first. He got giardia, bad stuff. Would eat a meal and then crap it out 5 minutes later. Got dehydrated quickly and nearly died.
     
  12. hawgeye

    hawgeye

    Messages:
    6,317
    Likes Received:
    7,572
    Location:
    augres