Weather through next weekend looks sucky!

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by marty59, Oct 18, 2020.

1. marty59

marty59

Is anyone reading the weather any different for the next 7 days?

Marty

2. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

I think it's great! Should get those bucks moving!
    Fishing... not so much!

3. Arron Kowalczyk

Arron Kowalczyk

As of this evening, Thursday wind doesn't look too bad according to Fishweather. Temps and chance of rain isn't too bad either. Of course being fall in Michigan the forecast will complete change to crap by Tuesday. Fall is one of my favorite seasons to fish, but I seem to lose almost 50% of trips due to wind.

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

5. Divers Down

Divers Down

...and ducks movin.
    It seems fall bass like duck weather too, pulled a dozen in short time yesterday.
    6035F4B2-07BB-468D-B1EF-F5BC7C00338C.jpeg

6. Slimshady

Slimshady

Nice job. That spot should be easy to find. I just have to look for the blue barge by the shore. :D

7. FishManDan

FishManDan

I see lots of opportunity to fish of course the best is Tuesday cause I have an appointment.

The question is are you a:

Fisherman = optimist looking for a chance to catch. Know the weatherman is wrong most of the time and half the time it is going to better than reported.

Pelican = I have to catch fish. Sit on shore waiting for perfect weather and reports of limits in this exact spot.

8. marty59

marty59

Or c) a guy who only has a few vacation days and want to use them wisely!

Marty

Shlack, jumbojake, Josh R and 2 others like this.
  9. the roofer

the roofer

All I know is Saturday I’m throwing the trolling rods out..I lost a absolute monster on a perch rig trying to net .bent my perch hook straight and I sat down and cried after that..would of released anyways but I wanted his picture..I fought him all the way until we made eye contact..

10. mfs686

mfs686

I'm planning on going out in about 2 hours.

marty59 likes this.
  11. Slimshady

Slimshady

I would say that I am a hybrid but more towards A. I will look at the upcoming week and try to figure out which day (or days) are the best based on when I could potentially get out. Sometimes I choose correctly, sometimes not. Many times the weatherman says it will blow 5-6 and it turns out to be 15-16 instead.

marty59 likes this.
  12. the roofer

the roofer

Have u ever noticed though..that u can leave the lake with 20 mph winds and go into your backyard with 5 mph winds..a real fishermen never looks at channel 2..clouds ,red sky,,and a feather in a bottle never lies..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  13. Slimshady

Slimshady

Absolutely, it happens all the time. I get home and tell my wife that the wind was howling on the lake and she looks at me like I am crazy. But if you look at the maps on Windy.com you can see that the lakes almost always have more wind than the land around them. See the example below from right now.

upload_2020-10-20_10-6-11.png

This is why you can't trust the regular forecast which is usually for locations on the land. You have to look at the area of the lake you plan on fishing to see what the forecast is there. Also, the forecast is usually given for the sustained winds, whereas the gusts are what we tend to notice on the water.

For example, right now it feels pretty calm at my house, yet Windy.com shows that it is blowing a sustained 10-11 knots on Lake Erie, with gusts to 23. If I was fishing it would feel like it was blowing 15-25, yet the posted forecast would probably say 10-15. I think that is a big reason why we have the perception that they get it wrong so often.

upload_2020-10-20_10-15-39.png

marty59 and kdx1980 like this.
  14. loomis82

loomis82

Big fish are definitely moving in! Few of my buddies have started catching good from shore in Ohio waters. Some big fish too a couple 30+ inches. Not the crazy weights yet but solid 8-9 lbs

marty59 likes this.
  15. Sir Walter

Sir Walter

What do you estimate his weight? We lost one last week trolling that we saw and we guessed 7lbs.