Weather and Trout Fishing

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by zig, May 3, 2018.

1. zig

zig

Just curious what other guys do... Sometimes it's pretty hard for me to find time to go fishing anymore. When I have a window, I take it, and I hit it pretty hard. Just curious what any of you do when the forecast says scattered T-storms or isolated T-storms. Its not like I'm in a boat and can race for the access, I might have a 2+ hour walk back. Again, just curious as to what anyone else does. See a chance for T-storms and just bag it?

2. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Fish! Best time. When you cast and your line hangs in the air, and arm hairs stand on end, hit the dirt. If accompanied by a cold front, when you feel it, bag it.

PunyTrout and zig like this.

3. zig

zig

That's why I want to go, plus with all this rain, my two favorite spots fish best when really high and dirty. I've had days in these conditions at these spots where 15-20 in a half day is not out of the question, and no dinks. But, and kind of a stupid question, what if one pops out of nowhere?

4. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

When the lightning gets bad, I just set the pole down, sit on the bank, and wait it out. Scariest is when they are accompanied with the high straight line winds. Trees start falling like domino's. Pucker factor 10.

Sparky23, zig and stickbow shooter like this.
  5. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

I guess it all depends on how severe. Lightning near by? Nope. Last year I was out on the Manistee when a big one rolled in. Dead ash trees crashing everywhere. Pretty scary.

zig likes this.
  6. Trout King

Trout King

I usually fish through if it isn't in the immediate area and tons of lightening. I have been caught in the middle of some pretty serious storms over the years, wading every time. I leave my graphite rod on the bank, get out of the water and go hangout away from the water in the woods until it passes.

Sparky23 and zig like this.
  7. FISHMANMARK

FISHMANMARK

Some of the best fishing I've ever had, was the last few minutes before it got scary!

8. mondrella

mondrella

I like fishing as those storms move in and while there going. Been in some pretty wicked weather.

zig, Ranger Ray and Trout King like this.
  9. Trout King

Trout King

The worst I have been in was about four years ago on one of yours and my favorite stretches. Tornado warning just south and for the first time I actually feared for my safety. Got out just above the last trailer, walked 50 yds from the stream, and hunkered down in the brush. Damn, that was a hell of a storm and those brookies absolutely lit up when I got hack in the creek.

zig, Big Medicine and mondrella like this.
  10. nyal

nyal

Scattered thunderstorms, I'll give it a shot. I don't mind fishing in rain or poor weather in general, but gotta be honest, if I know there are bad thunderstorms on the way I don't get 2 hours away from my vehicle. Sometimes it can't be helped especially if camping, happened to me once in the Beartooth Mountains out in Montana after I'd backpacked in for two days (middle of August and I can't recall if the brilliant lightning which was striking the trees preceded or came after the pounding hail). It was the most worried I've ever been while in the outdoors and nothing else even comes close. Probably only lasted 15-20 minutes and then it was perfect sunshine, but Lordy, it was a nervous 15 minutes. In those instances it's best to simply hunker down and wait it out, in my humble opinion. Good luck, be safe, and catch trout.

concentroutin likes this.
  11. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

There's an app called My Lightening Tracker if you fish in an area with cell reception. It's a pretty good app and it will send you an alert when lightening strikes occur in your area. You can set the distance based on your comfort level.

I've been using it for a few years and it works great if you have a cell signal where you fish. A few of my golfer buddies downloaded it and use it too.

nyal likes this.
  12. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I just got an alert while I was posting... Screenshot_20180506-135044.jpg

Trout King likes this.
  13. nyal

nyal

That is really cool. I'll be checking into this. Thanks for posting

6Speed likes this.
  14. zig

zig

Well, the weather held off for that day. A couple of sprinkles was all. But, conditions were just about perfect. Mostly cloudy, with the sun popping out here and there. Water was high and stained, just how I like it. Ended up being "one of those days," in a good way... Maybe one for the books. Ended up landing 23 fish, lost 2 more. Got in a little after 7, got out just after Noon. A couple 12 inchers, one 13, and the rest 14-20 inches. Held out to the end for the "monster," but ran out of bait around. It was a blast. A day like that actually makes me think about buying a Go Pro. Taking pictures and trying to video by yourself sucks.... Anyway, here's a few.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      125.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      152.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      523.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      190.6 KB
      Views:
    nyal, Steve, PunyTrout and 2 others like this.
  15. zig

zig

A couple more. First one is the river obviously. And that pic is of the easy fishin' part..:) It's not for everyone, but I love it.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      65.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      450.6 KB
      Views: