We Have a Friend in Lansing

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Waif

Waif

Used to be one around Cedar springs.
    Have not seen any sign of them for years now.
    The one guy had a piece of plywood he dragged them into the truck with.

Here's a scenario that still has me wondering...
    What were assumed to be road hits (road rash and broken limbs on some) were dumped in a pile on state land on a steep creek bank. Not uncommon for a few to several to be there.
    That was pre C.W.D.. I have not scouted the site in a long time to know the last dumping year.
    But such would be questionable today.
    The question I guess would be who dumped them , and when did they stop?
    Yet it is over shadowed by carcasses still being dumped along roads and parking areas in the zone...

2. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

FWIW, the DNR picked up road kill deer in the beginning of the CWD program to get a larger number of samples because the first deer was found in Spring, April or May, if I remember correctly the issue being that it was going to be a long time until deer season. So far they have tested almost 4300 roadkill deer and 1 has been found to have CWD. Probably not the best use of resources that could go to buy more testing kits instead of fueling up a truck and paying some state worker 4's to drive around all day. If WU or another group like that could do it that would be great but I don't see the state or counties funding it.
    https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79608_90516_90536_90552_90560---,00.html

Ingham county used to have a Dead Animal Recovery Team (DART), it was inmates who were first time offenders and low risk and all they did was drive around and pick up dead animals. I don't know what they did with the dead deer, I assume they got tested too because some of that would have been in the core area. But the program only lasted a short time because of budget cuts.
    https://www.wlns.com/news/dart-program-cleans-up-roadkill-in-ingham-county/1079011356

LabtechLewis likes this.