We Have a Friend in Lansing

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, Mar 5, 2019.

1. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

I'm not sure how you pulled CWD not being disastrous from me saying that they don't shoot deer during fawning season for fear of an orphaned fawn in someones back yard. That's not what I am saying at all. I agree that deer hunting is a big business, $2.3 Billion according what I could find, but the issue is that the number of hunters, 12% of the population, in the state, around 750,000 is on the decline and the number of anti-hunters and fence sitters is on the rise. With the days of social media its going to take a picture of some orphaned fawn in someone back yards to turn a lot of those fence sitters into anti-hunters or leaning more that way. And I probably don't need to tell you this be we live in a representative democracy and if you get enough of those representatives that have their constituents saying they don't like hunting that you will see laws changing towards curtailing to maybe an outright ban at some point. You don't need to look any further then the dove hunting legislation proposal that fell flat. Not saying it will be in my life time or your life time but maybe my kids or grand kids lifetime.

Back to CWD, I'm my mind the issue has been and always will be access. People in places like Okemos, where it was first found, not 30 miles from me, will never agree to letting people run around shooting every deer in the area, even if its for the better of the herd as a whole. People see the deer, they give them names, its ridiculous in my mind but that's suburbanites for you. I imagine the same is true for some of the people living in Livonia. On the same note what if the DNR came to you and said we want access to your land for CWD testing and "oh yea by the way if its brown its down". Will you just say "well ok, here's the keys to the gate, good luck"? Even if eradication was the end goal to stop the spread it would be impossible for a whole variety of reasons beyond access.

Like it or not CWD is here to stay. It hasn't changed the way I hunt other then I did turn heads in last year for the first time in a long time. And part of that was being curious of the age of one of them and also getting it tested for CWD, not because I was worried but because I wanted to do my part of add to the data.

2. sniper

sniper

Well it sounds like someone is gonna hafta pick between orphaned fawns or physically disabled deer walking in people’s backyard then. By the way I’m not for eradication of deer anywhere. I think it’s totally ridiculous and could never be done. I was just referring to what some believe and want to be done here.

My issue to begin with is, why are they not still testing road kill all over our state? Seems like the easiest pickens. We have extra money now right??

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I am totally with you on this from a sample collection standpoint. Not sure about the money piece.

What would the process look like? Need to get a salvage tag from a LEO? Then remove the head, bag it up, cooler it and take to Lansing? The project could probably be initiated similar to how the lymph node removal training the taxidermists received last summer was used to kick off that activity. We'd get the basic rules, do's and don'ts, and then scour the landscape looking for roadkill...

sniper likes this.
  4. sniper

sniper

Lab I’d be more apt to think someone from the state or county would pick them up not private citizens. Doesn’t most counties pick up roadkill anyways.
    They need to coordinate this somehow and test these animals. Maybe CO’s also if they have down times during the year.

5. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I don't think anyone in civil service is responsible for this function. Maybe Wayne county, but not Livingston or other more rural settings. Grass roots, baby, grass roots. I'm thinking QDMA branches and co-ops would be good sources of collection agents...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Maybe they should make those convicted of game law violations pick up deer carcasses for testing as part of their public service hours?

7. Dish7

Dish7

The county picks roadkill deer up around here. I have seen them doing it and felt very sorry for them. Wrestling ballooned carcasses up in July....ugh.:eek:

8. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I would rather do the time.

9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Which is EXACTLY why such work should be mandatory for game violators.

10. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

You cannot make someone do that. All they will do is say lock me up then.

11. Captain Happy

Captain Happy

Not a fan of J. Taylor Hello its me

12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Of course not, we can't ever hurt there wittle feelings. It's not their fault they are violators, society made them that way.

Bull crap, we had no problem sending millions into battle.

stickbow shooter likes this.
  13. G20man

G20man Banned

You ever been locked up?

14. sniper

sniper

Yep I’ve seen county workers and local animal control pick up carcasses. Speaking of which, where do they discard them???

LabtechLewis likes this.
  15. Dish7

Dish7

Not sure. We do have a rendering plant in town...could be there.