We Have a Friend in Lansing

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Witmer has proposed taking $2.3M from the general fund for CWD research. I’m glad to see that she feels this is more than just a hunter issue.

bigbucks160, mbrewer, motdean and 2 others like this.
  2. swampbuck

swampbuck

3. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

• $2.3 million General Fund to continue testing and research on Chronic Wasting Disease in Michigan’s deer population. To me that reads as 2.3 mil for continued testing and sharpshooters. I'd guess the term "research" was used rather loosely.

Justin, DirtySteve, Sparky23 and 2 others like this.
  4. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

Or maybe a well versed lobbyist for a Research Firm that made huge donations to her election fund. I hope it is true but anything coming from a politician says there is more to the story than the headline.

don, Waif, multibeard and 2 others like this.
  5. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

To it reads that the last governor did absolutely nothing to fund a possible fix for CWD. He pretty well quit making general funds off limits to anything Outdoor related. I’m glad that imbecile is gone.

Marty H, R.J.M. and mbrewer like this.
  6. SteelSearchin

SteelSearchin

I didn't vote for her, but I'd be willing to call her a "friend" if she can get us a dove season and a crane season.

Until that happens, it's business as usual and things rarely seem to improve for sportsmen and sportswomen.

Quackkiller likes this.
  7. Groundsize

Groundsize

In your mind what does research mean? Who will do it? What biopharmaceutical company did the State of Michigan donate the grant money to?

8. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

I do not see the DNR testing deer heads for cwd or culling deer populations as research though I suppose it could be considered such.

I have no idea on genentec or the like getting financial support from the state of Michigan. You tell me?

A quick looksie with the phone suggests a lot of money for research comes from the private sector related to outdoor sports. Though old eyes and 3.5 inch smartphone screens dont mix well. It would be interesting to see where money for it comes and goes.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  9. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

I think I read somewhere that there are at least 26 states with known CWD cases. If that is indeed fact it sure would be great if they all tossed a couple million into the kitty and did some really serious research instead of most states pretty much doing a piece-meal thing and maybe spending sportsman/tax dollars to seemingly try and reinvent the wheel. FM

10. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I could care less about a dove season but would be for a wolf and crane season. Both are as a destructive animal as you can get. To be clear I wouldn’t be against a dove season but I believe that ship has sailed.

11. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

It can’t hurt to through money at.

Even though I’m fairly certain it will be tossed into the wind. Probably embezzled to U of M reasearch so they can repurpose the money right into her campaign fund.

Hopefully that makes the 50 cents per gallon of gas tax increase easier to swallow.

Hmm.... and zero mention of repealing the retirement tax that so many voted for.....

12. swampbuck

swampbuck

Funny she is concerned about CWD, while the DNR moves forward with MAPRS in 2 areas. effectively flipping the bird at their own CWD response plan of 2018. Maybe no ones pointed that out to her. Maybe She would can Schlaybaugh before his term ends at the end of the year.

mbrewer, motdean and eye-sore like this.
  13. swampbuck

swampbuck

Funny she is concerned about CWD, while the DNR moves forward with MAPRS in 2 areas. effectively flipping the bird at their own CWD response plan of 2018. Maybe no ones pointed that out to her. Maybe She would can Schlaybaugh before his term ends at the end of the year.

14. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

When you're down..... and troubled ...
    ...and gas prices rise by 50 cents per gallon...
    You've got a friend.
    <----<<<

15. antlerhunter

antlerhunter

Not to mention what that will do for the tourism. That would be a big turn off for a vacation in Michigan.