Waterproof hiking boots

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by NbyNW, Apr 29, 2018.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW

Looking for input from others for hiking boots that are actually waterproof. In the past few years I've worn Cabelas, Keen and Columbia hiking boots that were advertised as waterproof, even had reviews of being waterproof from buyers, but none of which have actually been waterproof. I'm not even talking creeks, they just let water in like a pair of tennis shoes if there's any moisture.

I wear a pair of lacrosse rubber boots when needed, but would like to find a pair of hiking boots or upland hunting boots that do a better job with dew and light water amounts.

What are you wearing/recommend?

2. Nostromo

Nostromo

Are you sure your feet aren't sweating? If you are then the sad truth about boots is you get what you pay for. High quality Gore-tex lined boots should keep the water out. Danner, Kenetrek, and Lowa are a few you should look at. I've had great luck with Danner, and Lowa.

3. NbyNW

NbyNW

Feet do sweat occasionally, but there is a difference. Half the boots I've worn have had goretex. Not sure what you mean by get what you pay for, just looking for some real life reviews as to waterproof boots guys have had good success with.

4. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

I won't buy boots without gore Tex. Always worked good for me, even walking in creeks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nostromo likes this.
  5. Nostromo

Nostromo

What I meant was good boots cost a lot of money and cheap ones don't. Sometimes if your boots are lined even if not insulated the moisture can build up and your feet get wet. If you look at serious work boots like whites you see that they are plain leather inside. I think the reason is less moisture build up.

You should look at Danner and Lowa. These are two that I've used. I have a pair of Danner's I bought back in '04 which are still doing it.

You can also look at the socks you use. Smart Wool is pretty good, and the ones Red Wings sell are good too. But wool is the answer. One final thought is invest in a pair of boot dryers. This way, you'll start each day with dry feet.

Good luck!

Ray Adams likes this.
  6. nafc2005

nafc2005

I’ll second the Danners. I’ve had a pair for about 5 years now and they’ve never leaked. They’re Gore-tex and mine have 400g of Thinsulate making them a good three season boot. Good traction, too. I just looked at them to see if I could find the “model” but I don’t see that named on the boot. They’re a mossy oak breakup camo. I got them at Cabelas in Green Bay and chose them because I have a wide foot and it was the only brand at the store that fit me without having to go up a size or two. Couldn’t be happier and I hike and hunt in them a lot. Too warm for summer, though.

I’ve also gone through several pairs of LL Beans Kangaroo leather boots. Extremely comfortable and waterproofed with Gore-tex. Very light weight and they hold up well. But, and this is a big but for me…the traction is terrible and I’ve gone down a lot with gun in hand stepping on a wet log or rock under the snow, or on a pile o wet leaves on a slope. It’s for this reason that I can’t recommend them and won’t wear them anymore. As my wife tells me, “At your age a fall could be fatal.”

A key to dry feet for me is I always wear a light weight poly sock liner under a pair of rag-wool socks. If I’m out all day, I usually remove my footwear after a 4-5 hours, dry the sweat off my feet and then put on a dry set of liners and wool socks.

Hunters Edge likes this.
  7. Full_Draw_Killer

Full_Draw_Killer

I too have struggled to find a boot that holds up and doesn't leak. I've tried Waterproof, Goretex etc and they ALL start to let water in after a certain amount of time. I believe my next pair is going to be the Danner Sharptail - http://www.danner.com/men/hunt/sharptail-8-dark-brown.html

Ideally I would love to step up and get a pair of Crispi's, but I'm not ready to bite that bullet yet... https://www.crispius.com/

I know the perfect boot is out there for price, durability and Goretex but I am yet to find it.

NbyNW likes this.
  8. PA BUCK 2

PA BUCK 2

With you. Have had Danner (old ones were great- new ones went through two pair in 6 months), Keen, Rocky, Cabelas, Columbia... I think my next pair will be Irish Setters.. Just need to pull the trigger... I have no problem spending money on good boots- spent $200+ on the Danners and Cabela boots

Dixiedog and NbyNW like this.
  9. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

All these brands are great brands that make great products, which I own several of, I'm not here to knock them at all, but IMO when it comes to a hiking boot you want to rely on and own for the long haul, stick with companies such as Asolo, Scarpa and the like.

Although I have yet to own a pair, the friends of mine that own the LL Bean and Orvis kangaroo upland boots (which appear to be almost identical), have never had any complaints on water proofing or quality.

10. NbyNW

NbyNW

I've been looking at Irish setter boots as well. 200 seems reasonable to me if I could get two years out of them.
    I've been hearing not as positive things about Danner recently as well. The 200$ China made boots have been hurting their brand.
    I feel as the boots are one of the most important pieces of gear, but it is difficult to find a quality, waterproof, lightweight boot these days.

11. Nostromo

Nostromo

1. I wouldn't look at anything made in China.
    2. You are going to have a hard time finding quality boots for $200.00. You may be able to get a pair of LOWA for $240.00. But the USA Danner are going to run you more. But you really can't beat them for quality. I see they are having a sale on some of their boots. Maybe one of those will work for you. ;)

https://www.danner.com/catalogsearch/result/?sortId=relevance&q=made+in+usa

PA BUCK 2 and Lamarsh like this.
  12. PA BUCK 2

PA BUCK 2

Actually the last two Danners were the pronghorns.... Guess I am just hard on boots. They would not honor the warranty and Gore tex wanted to send me booties to wear. Crazy to me.

13. Nostromo

Nostromo

Hell, they'll rebuild your boots for you. Makes me wonder what you did to them. lol

14. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I really don't have a problem with leaky goretex boots. I've had Gokey, Bean, Setter, Red Wings,Danner, Carolina, Thorogood, Rockys, I have had a few disappointments over the years, but also ones that went well beyond what one would consider to be a normal expectation. Like the two pairs of Redwings I got 15 winters a work and resoled at least twice, maybe three times. Still dry when I gave them away to some young bucks needing good footwear.

Nostromo likes this.
  15. birdhntr

birdhntr

I personally like the Irish setters.I use the double leather non insulated.I hunt quite a bit and they last forever considering the use.I am old school when is comes to boot maintenance and still use mink oil.Leather just like tack and saddle need to be worked and maintained.I was taught to work the mink oil into the leather massaging ,rolling,flexing,bending for penetration until supple so to speak.If done well the boot will be soft and flexible in which stress at stitching,the rolled leather seam,the sole stitching,toe,upper,and heel lap seam are where they fail as well as the side pinch point between toe line and foot.leather shrinks when dry and expands when wet.Treating prevents this.Also keep them away from extreme heat and sunlight.Once a stitch tears or damages leather it will always be there.A hole so to speak.I use a super soft toothbrush on seams and creases and nitrile gloves to work leather.Hear is a pic of my boots.Left boot is maybe 15 years old and boot on right will be season 4 this fall and to my amazement I tracked a deer into a knee deep swamp and my feet stayed dry somehow?Pheasant fields reek havoc on boots but the newer pair is doing well and still has original lacing. IMAG0919.jpg

ESOX likes this.