close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waterfowl recipes

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Branta, Oct 11, 2010.

1. OnHoPr

OnHoPr

Have any of you duck hunters ever come up with a recipe for your better halves? I am referring to your pooches. Maybe in late season shoot a few mergs or coots. Make a brine of some sort, then brine merg fillets halved for a while then smoke or oven dry until they are as tough as a cowhide chewy. It might help your wing or swat shooting on dull days in the marsh.

2. Howitzer

Howitzer

Here is one I did on the fly while smoking some chicken and gave some wood duck breasts a shot.
    Marinate breasts in Apple Cider for 1 day - less should be ok but 24 hours is optimal
    coat with Montreal Steak Seasoning
    Put in smoker until done @ 225 degree's.

I took the breasts that I smoked to a dinner to put on cheese and crackers and it was immediately devoured without the cheese and crackers.

3. Howitzer

Howitzer

Building on my experiment I did the following, and I am not kidding when i say that it is the best wood duck I have ever had.

Marinate in Apple Cider for 24 hours.
    Liberally coat breasts with Montreal Steak Seasoning
    Put in smoker for 2 hours @ 225 degrees, I used hickory

The meat is phenomenal on its own but when combined with Habanero Cheese it the spice so gave it another level so try throwing in some extra pepper if you dare.

AaronJohn likes this.
  4. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

this will be tried this weekend

Howitzer likes this.
  5. Howitzer

Howitzer

My wife told me to "shoot more ducks" after trying this...Happy Wife Happy life.

zoombaiter25 likes this.
  6. Howitzer

Howitzer

I don't think you can go wrong with a lightly salted smoked jerky, it may even be suitable for human consumption. Try my recipe below but cook til its tough as shoe leather.