close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waterfowl recipes

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Branta, Oct 11, 2010.

1. RandyC

RandyC

Sounds REALLY good!

2. ajkulish

ajkulish

Found my best recipe for ducks yet. Did this one a night cooking for myself, so all measurements will have to increase proportionally when preparing for one more.

Breasts of one duck (I used gadwall)
    2 cups flour
    1.5 tablespoons of coffee grounds
    Veggie oil
    2 tbsp. butter
    1 tsp Basil
    1 tbsp. Black Pepper
    1 tsp Salt
    2 tsp. garlic salt
    water
    1 bay leaf
    1 pale ale

To start, mix the flour, coffee grounds (feel free to be generous with this, delicious on duck) basil, black pepper, salt, and garlic salt in a bowl. Coat the duck breasts well in the seasoned flour mixture.

Add butter and oil to a pan and heat until hot. Add floured duck breasts to the pan and cook on each side for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. When this is done, add some of the remaining seasoned flour, water and beer. You kind of have to eyeball this. Start slow on adding flour beer and water, but do so until there is a nice creamy gravy in the pan. Proceed to cover and turn the heat down to low, cooking for an additional 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy

3. smoke

smoke

Pulled goose BBQ

Here's an easy bbq goose recipe that anyone can do.

Put goose breasts into crock pot and cover with apple juice. Simmer on low over night or 6-8 hours. When its ready strain or skim all fat and silver skin off the top of the apple juice. Most of the silver skin and all of the fat will be floating on top of the liquid. Remove goose breasts, discard the apple juice, fork shred and add your favorite bbq sauce. Reheat and serve how ever you like your bbq. We use bakery onion buns.
    Like I said easy duck camp crock pot recipes are my favorites.

4. Fowlersduckhunter

Fowlersduckhunter

Got this recipie from my dad. Works best with mallards but is good with any puddle duck, do not recommend this for divers.

Breast them out, slice, roll in Drakes Mix, and braise in bacon grease. Smother with sliced onions, and pour a couple cans of beer over. Cover, and simmer on low until the onions caramelize and the sauce thickens.

Geese I breast out and slice diagonally in half. Wash them good and soak in salt water for 10 or 15 mins. Put them in an oven bag with an onion and apple juice. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until the breasts are cooked. Eat it as a sandwich is my favorite.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  5. junkman

junkman

I have a friend that makes pastrami from goose breast.Talk about something that's is awesome.Just follow a pastrami recipe for venison and you've got it.

6. Kennybks

Kennybks

I can attest, goose pastrami is awesome.

Attached Files:

7. dankoustas

dankoustas

If you could post the recipe, that would be great. I was just telling a buddy of mine yesterday that I can't get goose to taste good.
    Dan

8. Kennybks

Kennybks

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/index.php?threads/573146/
    Fum but slow morning

At the end of this thread i put a link and some specifics. Since I did this several pounds recently, I would reduce the salt (canning or kosher) by half, but keep the Morton quick as recipe says.

It's just too hard to get the sodium rinsed out after curing.

When I was boiling the corned goose breasts, I changed the water to help ensure it wasn't too salty.

Crock pot with cabbage and carrots/rutabaga and onions is fabulous.

Otherwise follow smoking instructions for pastrami.

9. Lurker

Lurker

10. junkman

junkman

Man the pastrami my friend makes is like crack cocaine.Once you get a taste you just want more.:lol:

Kennybks likes this.
  11. Kennybks

Kennybks

That's pretty much how my buddies have held it. It doesn't take long for a couple of guys to enialate a goose breast pastrami. Goose is denser meat than venison. It's easy to dry out if overcooked. Be sure to pull it before it goes dry.

The corning process sounds like a lot of trouble, but it's really not and pretty easy. The 19 days in the fridge is the hardest part. Waiting always is. Lol

I've done the pastrami using the largest flat roast in the hind quarters of venison, which is absolutely fantastic, but I'd rather use honkers!

Still make a few bags of goose jerky, save a few for stir fry.

12. zoombaiter25

zoombaiter25

Well thought I'd chip in my .02. I'm a big fan of Asian stir fry and was surprised to not see anything listed under this thread using duck/goose for a stir fry. If I only get a bird or two, this is my go-to:

Marinade breasts with your favorite soy/teriyaki sauce at least overnight. I like to add some brown sugar, garlic powder, and S&P as well.

After giving it time to marinade, crank up to the hottest temp your stove top can handle. Woks work best if you've got one available, but most non-stick frying pans will work. Add a little sesame oil to cover the surface of the pan. Add in chopped veggies (onion, green pepper, etc) and keep it moving constantly. After your veggies are cooked to your liking, add in marinated duck or goose. Add in small amounts of sesame oil to keep things frying, but be careful since sesame oil is highly concentrated. The meat cooks rather quick so be prepared to pull the pan off the stove top in about a minute or two. Overcooking will result in a tough and chewy stir fry so try to shoot for medium or medium-rare. Drizzle soy/teriyaki/sweet and sour over your creation and serve with a side of rice. I'd suggest looking up some videos on the stir frying process to make sure you don't start any kitchen fires :eek:. Can't wait to try some of the other recipes on here.

Good luck and good eats!

Kennybks likes this.
  13. Kennybks

Kennybks

Stir fry is always a great way for sure. I like using the inner piece of the breast that is pulled during cleaning. I'll save just those for stir fry as they're so tender and tasty (Iike inside tenderloin) :)

The mixture we use is Soy and honey for S&S or red curry or oyster sauce for a more savory fry.

But good call!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    zoombaiter25 likes this.
  14. Howitzer

Howitzer

I had some breasts from Friday and Saturday that I did not feel like freezing so I went quick and easy.

After the normal salt water soak.
    Marinate small breasts in A-1 over night
    Wrap in bacon and grill hot and fast

Shazaam those were good.

duckaddict and zoombaiter25 like this.
  15. Andre123

Andre123

I actually tried this one, amazing! Thank you. Much appreciated : )