Water Softener Issue

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by Forest Meister, May 4, 2018.

1. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

My softener suddenly started using salt at over double the normal rate. "The guy" came out in mid December and in less time than it takes to type this post changed a couple small nozzles and told me all was as good as new. The softener is probably close to 25 years old.

Due to snow on the outside basement entry I did not go down to check on anything during the winter. A couple days ago the snow left and about that time I noticed the water getting harder. You guessed it, salt reservoir which always lasted about eight months is empty after about four months, and is also 3/4 full of water.

Fixable or time for a new softener? FM

2. xx13

xx13

Has the resin media in the tank ever been changed? is this a shallow well or deep well? Do u have iron in water?

3. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Resin never changed, deep well, iron in water. I have always used the iron-out pellets which were recommended by the installer. FM

4. xx13

xx13

I would try changing resin first.

5. vans

vans

8 month's seems like a long time to hold salt, not noing how many pounds your tank holds or how much water you consume
    do you test for hardness?
    is your softener mechanically metered?
    try these guys-https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/water-softener-forum-questions-and-answers.22/

6. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

7. stickman1978

stickman1978

Been renting a Culligan for the last 25 years. On my 3rd resin tank and had the controls replaced twice also in that time. I would say a new one is a good bet.

8. vans

vans

FREEPOP likes this.
  9. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Thanks everybody. Owing to the age of the softener and after talking with the two local dealers, one of which offered me a deal I just could not refuse, I have decided to purchase a new unit. FM

d_rek likes this.
  10. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Just be careful your wife doesn't do the same :D

bobberbill likes this.