Water hole and CWD

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by chedda bob, Feb 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. chedda bob

chedda bob

I have been on a Jeff Sturgis kick lately, and he swears by utilizing water holes in the right areas. Do you guys think this will increase the risk of spreading CWD faster?

2. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Nope - not at all.

Dish7 likes this.

3. Waif

Waif

Deer are going to drink.
    If they have one source only they will share it. Or better put , they will all use it if they want water.
    If they have water at easy reach , what water will they use?

One hot late June or early July mid day I watched a doe put the sneak on the dirty bird bath in the yard.
    Nasty water as far as I was concerned , but she had been bedding near and could probably smell it.
    If that water was not there she likely would have headed for the next source.

I cleaned the bath , and put a bucket farther out back.

Similar weather more often later in the year a doe used to bring her fawn to the river in the evening on a site I liked to fish.
    How many deer shared that water? Though diluted saliva..It was a shared source, but among higher potential numbers of animals.

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

No back wash allowed.

U of M Fan and Waif like this.
  5. miruss

miruss

So now we are comparing kiddie pools to rivers??
    https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/attachments/20160916_171121-jpg.242556/

chedda bob likes this.
  6. Waif

Waif

Water is water.
    I don't drink from streams or standing water not known as being potable with exception of boiled water on occasion for coffee in Canada. (Blackfly larva were fine , after all it's what you can't see that'll hurt you).
    Do you drink untreated river water? How does it differ from any other water?
    You only need to get infected once. The odds after drinking from contaminated water simply ups the odds. Does it matter the source?

7. sureshot006

I'd rather drink from a river that something infected upstream drank from than a stagnant kiddy pool.

chedda bob and Waif like this.
  8. Waif

Waif

How many dirty diapers in the kiddie pool?:eek:

sureshot006 likes this.
  9. sureshot006

Pretty much!

Dilution is the solution... kind of. Forced to drink from a river with a guy upstream taking a leak or drink from a 30 gallon pool a guy just took a leak in. Which is worse? Seems likely it would be the same idea for CWD and artificial water holes.

Waif likes this.
  10. Waif

Waif

Do we know what the upstream whizzer has in his urine? Could be worse than the guy warmin the pool. (Vice versa too).

IF only one drinking spot on the river , and one kiddie pool existed for all humans to drink from what are the odds that more cooties get shared there vs two hundred watering sites spread out?
    Will less travel for water mean less contamination from a deer that drinks in a smaller locale?

Prions can (theory here , theory) be on the path to and from the water too.

For today's story time , a certain buck had a habit of a mile route. (At night mostly).
    A few of us hunting that mile traded notes.
    Water at both ends. Narrow river at one end , creeks on the other. And midpoint was a man made seasonal water source.

Where did he drink? L.o.l..

sureshot006 likes this.
  11. sureshot006

I'm pointing at concentration which SEEMS to be a factor in transmission. I havent smelled a fart from a guy at the other end of Meijer but I am pretty sure I would if we were in an elevator together. Dilution!

chedda bob likes this.
  12. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I have 3/4 of a mile of river frontage, I’ve never watched a deer drink from it. I do see them drink from stagnant water pools along my trails on a regular basis plus where I’ve scooped out a trench with my box blade. For whatever reason flowing water doesn’t seem to attract them.

G20man likes this.
  13. Waif

Waif

Bugs are bugs. Only takes one if it's the right kind. (?) I'll leave the risky water to others . And wash my hands after licking shopping cart handles! :16suspect

sureshot006 likes this.
  14. sureshot006

I havent actually seen them do it either. But looks like they do... tracks to the edge and no evidence on the other side in some places. I doubt they're walking up or down stream.

DirtySteve likes this.
  15. red wolf

red wolf

Flowing stream I agree
    I little creek the is flowing I have seen deer use.