Was it Really so Unexpected?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by John Singer, Dec 20, 2014.

1. sniper

sniper

Correct and the point is what?

2. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Not much stress on the deer herd in Hillsdale Co. compared to northern counties.

L & O

3. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

The OP's assertion is the deer in his area were stressed and starving. He lists his location as Brooklyn, which is about 2 miles from the Hillsdale County line.

Since Sniper has a farm near there he'd be well qualified to post his observations on the area the OP was referring to.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  4. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Freezer is full! We just need to give them another year or two.:D Not pictured is three 2 yr old 8s a 3 yr old 8 and a 3 yr old 10. All within 1.5 mile radius. Apparently they think our does are sexy.:D

Attached Files:

5. trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer

Nearly three months below freezing temps, two week stretches with highs below 20 degrees and lots of sub zero days and nights, who would have guessed it?

My backyard sightings are half of what they were last summer and fall. I saw very few fawns and quite a few skeletons in the woods this summer. If you live in a region with more woods than agriculture, chances are your sightings are down.

We'll need a couple normal to mild winters to bounce back in the northern areas.

6. mal

mal

As thick and nasty as my property in Hillsdale County is to walk through, I think based on the deer sightings this year (more than ever) that the cover served me well when the temps and snow got really bad. Seems that if they can just get out of the arctic wind and hunker down within a couple hundred yards of any food source, the deer are pretty resilient.

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I just looked at the 2014 winter severity index. The UP had an index of 7-1/2 a little over a month ago. Zone 3s long term average annual peak is half that index.

8. cakebaker

cakebaker

Meh, what's the problem.

9. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Last winter was pretty bad here in parts of the SLP. A real freak. The food was loocked in with deep snow and a layer of ice for months. Lots of guys from the thumb area reported finding groups of dead deer, I only found two this past spring, both button bucks in lapeer county, but I didn't get out much this spring. One was curled up in a bedded position as if it were sleeping. However, I did find several areas with bones scattered about this fall, just can't confirm they were from winter kill. I don't believe it was a major issue in my area, many does had twins and a few with triplets....
    While rabbit hunting the Deford area this past spring, my cousin found 28 dead deer. I'm sure there were plenty more.. My brother in- law hunted the Verona area for the firearms season opener, he seen one doe for the entire week. A C.O. told him, between the winter kill and the over use of antlerless tags, the area doesn't have many deer.

Those areas I mentioned above are not likely to have populations recover anytime soon. IMO, with the liberal antlerless tags still available, when an area falls below a certain density or threshold, it will be nearly impossible to have any gains.

This winter looks like it will be back to normal.

10. hartman756

hartman756

You it the nail squarely on the head chasin.

BTW: Brent was pretty clear when he spoke on the Mike Avery show this spring that there was not any winter kill in zone three............He /they (the DNR) also downplayed the effects of winter in the NLP although I know of no one from the DNR stepping foot out in the woods to even try and assess the impact

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  11. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

There was without a shadow of doubt, winter kill in and near the thumb.

I haven't heard the show or Brents statement. If true, why are these people still working for us? I see a very irresponsible trend with the management of our states deer herd.

A retired CO recently made the statement to some family members of mine that the current upper management is extremely corrupt. With statements such as Brents, maybe I should believe these things.

12. hartman756

hartman756

I can't get any of Mike Avery's podcast other than the most recent ones.........seems like I could get the older ones before........might be on his facebook page for those that have facebook . I am pretty certain what was said at that time .....it was in March.

13. hartman756

hartman756

Here is an article from March

http://www.ourmidland.com/news/cold...cle_8173bd38-234e-531e-bd4b-fe1dc337a2e8.html

14. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

It's nice to see some reasonableness and sanity in the posts in this forum.

It is also comforting to see that things haven't changed much over the years. Back in my moderator days on the site every year, no matter what the hunting, conditions, weather, etc. was like there would be these "bitch threads." You can take what's been said in here in a post mortem "analysis" (I use the word VERY loosely) of the recently finished deer seasons and you can take it and mix it in with every other such thread in the past and there would be no difference. Comforting............among other things....is nice. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  15. hartman756

hartman756

https://mucc.org/dnr-northern-lp-deer-hunting-forecast/