Walleye trolling reels?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by dewy6068, May 9, 2018.

1. dewy6068

dewy6068

I’m starting to have issues with my 7-8 year old el cheapo line counter reels and I am looking to replace them with higher quality reels this time around. What does everyone recommend?

Are the Diawa sealine 27’s worth the $110 each?

Is there another good option that is a little more cost effective than the Diawa’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Buy quality. The Daiwa Sealine 27's are nice, especially if you multitask the reels for salmon duty. Already boated a couple kings this year on mine, one topping 20#. That probably would have schredded my previous walleye reels.

For me, it came down to a coin flip between the Sealines and the Okuma Coldwater series. I have a bunch of both, and neither has ever let me down. I have several old Sealines on my boat that I acquired used years ago, and they've never hiccup'd, so I went with the Daiwas. Some reviews of the Okuma Coldwater series indicate they cost reduced those reels recently and eliminated a feature (don't recall what offhand right now), so compare specs and reviews before you buy.

You can get the Sealines for about $80 with free shipping through Jet - when they're in stock.

dewy6068 likes this.

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Sealine 27's are what I have and never had a problem with them. I use them for everything, Steelhead, Salmon, and Walleye, so even with a slightly higher price I can justify. A friend gave me my first set to try and since then I have bought a few more. Nice thing is I also got a couple in left hand retrieve for those of us that like that better.

4. Blackeyes

Blackeyes

Okuma convectors are good too. I use 20s for walleye and 30s or 45s for salmon depending on type of line I'm spooling on them

5. 50incher

50incher

I've used Daiwa 27's for Musky for years, NO problems....mine are older....brother got one just a couple years ago and had problems right off the bat....think they went to china ?....I got a Garcia 5500 for Christmas and it seems really good so far ?!....I'm just guessing but have the feeling some of these reel companies are finally leaving china because the quality and hence the brand name reputation has been going nowhere but down....shame on them in the 1st place, imo....