Walleye speared

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by brigeton, Apr 24, 2018.

1. brigeton

brigeton

A guy my wife works with said he was in the jerky store in Newago and there was a c.o. in there weighing fish on their scale. He had 6 walleye a couple guys had speared in the Muskegon river. Reported weight was from 8 to 15lbs.
    Being a 3rd hand report it probably isn't totally accurate but probably true.

2. ready2fish

ready2fish

rugbym10sflyu and jstfish48162 like this.

3. piketroller

piketroller

I guess they just couldn’t wait until this weekend for the season to open, but I’m assuming those kind of guys don’t even bother to figure out what the regulations are.

rugbym10sflyu likes this.
  4. mondrella

mondrella

These kind of guys know the regs. They just don’t care. Many of them work harder at breaking the law and getting away with it than following the rules. We have some streams that have walleyes run them from inland lakes. The local poachers know this and do the same thing. They have basically a fool proof way of doing it. They have been stopped and after bragged they had 7 walleyes stashed and the CO had their hands on what held the fish and never knew it.
    Ingenious idea how they get away with it. I would share but someone else might decide to try it.

5. mfs686

mfs686

Reminds me of a special ran on National Geographic years ago about waterfowl poachers. The poachers said shooting the ducks wasn't the challenge, beating the man was. That was what they lived for.

Had a guy downriver that used to poach walleye constantly. His undoing was his need to drink and brag at the same time.

6. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

I stayed at a rental house on lbdn about 9 years ago for the walleye opener. We got up there day before it opened. As we were unloading we seen a huge pile of eyes, I seen the owner and asked him what’s up with all those fresh cleNed eyes? He says I speared them the last few days... wow speared I asked yes he said I have my tribal card. Guy look whiter then me. So if your Native American this is still a legal practice spearing them in little feeder rvrs when they are stacked on top of each other.

twolaketown likes this.
  7. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Probably tribal members who can legally spear. Like stated above, you don’t have to look like a full on Native American to have a tribal license. Just have to prove your ancestry.

rugbym10sflyu and Firefighter like this.
  8. DonaldTrump

DonaldTrump

How many times did they get away with it before they got caught.....

9. UP Hunter

UP Hunter

The water up here is just starting to lose ice. The next thing we will see in the local Keweenaw Bay tribe cruising the shorelines at night with lights and spears. They claim the rights to 2000 walleye each year in our local lake.

10. swampbuck

swampbuck

I don't know if they are still doing it, but they have speared the creek they run up, from Houghton lake.

11. brigeton

brigeton

This is not about indian fishing rights. This about white poachers they caught and were weighing the fish so they can determine the amount of restitution.

12. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Why do some people assume these things are always done by Native Americans. They do have the legal right to take fish from some lakes and streams.

13. piketroller

piketroller

The people that assume it’s the NA are usually people jealous of that right, either because they want to do it as well, or because they have and have gotten caught.

14. twolaketown

twolaketown

NA's being greedy. I'm not jealous, I don't like it. Spearing walleye on beds during the closed season is not cool.

15. mjh4

mjh4

Fine them a $1000 dollars per fish and bet they won't do it again! Unless their that dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman