Walleye fishing on Lake Erie for beginners

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. Erie, Detroit River' started by scotxxx, Mar 4, 2014.

1. scotxxx

scotxxx

Hi all. Going to be going to Lake Erie in the next week or so. I have never been before. If you were going what spoons jigs raps ect are a must to have. Also what type of line is best. If you can think our Any other must haves please post them. Trying to get the most out of the trip. I want top be prepared. Any advice tips tricks areas are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

2. Slayer 1983

Slayer 1983

Going on Sunday for the frist time but if u read all the post it will tell u anything u need to know I will post Sunday night when I get back home

3. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499371

If you are going to OH - there are plenty of threads to read - take the time to digest them.......must haves GPS, electronics, on ice transportation a plus (big) an OH license All the info you could want and more are on here in the first two pages of threads.......read em all - look at the pictures and drool till you can get there.....if you are not thinking of going to OH - change your mind. Brest Bay is closer but not as hot nor do they have the size and amount of walleye right now.

4. idunnit

idunnit

Went to Erie for the first time last Friday. Hooked on it! Shorter drive than Saginaw Bay and the fish are huge! I recommend Cleos blue and chrome, perch. Do jiggers blue lightning bolt on chrome. #5 and #7 raps. I had better luck with the blue and chrome than gold, but some say gold is the way to go.
    8-10 lb braid with 10 lb flouro leader is plenty.
    Make sure to note the limit is down to 4 after march 1st so you don't get any surprises when the CO checks your bag.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. Rooster_Smasher

Rooster_Smasher

Odds are really good you will be checked.

If your not on an active school of fish a quarter mile move could make your day turn into a dream. Move...

Good luck and be safe, use your head out there.

6. Slayer 1983

Slayer 1983

Going to be nice wife is making a pot of chile for us taking the 20lbs tank with the turkey fryer stand hot chile on ice Sunday can't come soon enough

7. Slayer 1983

Slayer 1983

Is everyone going out of the state park