close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waders for Youth

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by buckslayerII, Apr 3, 2018.

1. buckslayerII

buckslayerII

Hi all - looking for any suggestions for waders for my 14-year old son. The issue we're trying to sort out is that he wears a means size 10 shoe, but is not any taller than your average size 14-year old. Hence, any waders with boots big enough pretty much go over his head. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how they might've solved a similar issue? Obviously, I don't want to spend a lot of money since, as it always happens, he'll grow as soon as I purchase something and they won't fit again. Thanks

2. jjc155

jjc155

Call Schultz Outfitters in Ypsi, if they don't know it doesn't exist.

I know you can have all kind of stuff custom made by Simms but its not cheap and for a set of waders he is only gonna wear at most two seasons probably not the way to go.

Have you had him try on the smallest adult size to see if it would work?

Hope this helps
    J-

3. buckslayerII

buckslayerII

For all of the models he has tried on, if the boot fit his foot, the top of the waders is over his head :~0

jjc155 likes this.
  4. cosborn

cosborn

Do they have to be chest waders? How deep of water will he be wading? Are hip waders/boots an option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Have you tried neoprene stocking foot waders? They will stretch quite a bit to fit those big feet.

6. Scout 2

Scout 2

Call Al and Bobs in Grand Rapids. I bought some there several years ago for short people. Best fitting waders I ever had. They were Hodgemans.

7. buckslayerII

buckslayerII

Thanks for all the suggestions. From what we've seen, height of the waders (or hip boots) tends to be proportional to foot size. I suppose the best option might be to look harder for some stocking foot waders that work.

8. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

I second the stocking foot wader idea- either chest or hip. The bootie for most stocking foot waders tend to run big, and if he gets a few years of wear out of the stocking foot type, you'll only be out the cost of boots rather than a complete set of waders as those already big feet get bigger.