Waders for my 11 yr old girl

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by Tara, May 11, 2018.

1. Tara

Tara

I'm looking into getting my daughter her first pair of waders. She is learning to fly fish and accompanies me fishing regularly. She is 11 and pretty small. What are your recommendations? 20180507_171616.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Ray Adams

Ray Adams

I experienced the same issue a few years ago. Seems like hip boots or boot-foot waders make a better option because they outgrow them so quickly. You might check craigslist or eBay too. We should almost start a kids wader-swap option on this site.

Kudos to you for introducing her at such a young age.

Tara likes this.

3. Big Skip

Big Skip

Great idea. Hand me down kids stuff thread. From hunting fishing gear to youth quads bikes and sleds that get out grown.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Tara likes this.
  4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

^^^^^ those look like a pretty good deal. Try to look for boot foot waders, much easier for the young fisher to get into. Buy the next size up from what you think, and give them an extra pair of socks to start with.

5. Benzie Rover

Benzie Rover

I had my best luck shopping waterfowl gear sites for my kid's waders. They seem to make those in smaller sizes than fishing waders. Plus, they are tough, which is good for the kiddos.

My son is now 14 and has a size 13 foot, so the trick now is finding big feet with size medium body - very tough to find -even harder than kids sizes. So far, Patagonia is the only company I found that has that combo. You'd think Simms would, but nope. Here's a pair of cabelas on my son and the waterfowl neoprene on daughter from 3 hex seasons ago.

PunyTrout and Tara like this.
  6. Big Skip

Big Skip

That young lady is very lucky to have such a bad ass mother!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Tara likes this.
  7. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Those waders that @FREEPOP and I mentioned from Amazon are a little pricey at $85.00 for something she may out grow in a year or two but I'd be willing to go halves on a pair. Seems like a good cause and a great opportunity to encourage a young, future angler. Plus, maybe she can hand them down to another young girl in the future.

Count me in, if interested.

8. Davey Boy

Davey Boy

My sons had Cabelas youth waders growing up. They held up nicely and both pairs were sold after the kids outgrew them.

9. Tara

Tara

Thanks for the offer. I was able to get some from a friend yesterday.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

PunyTrout likes this.
  10. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I'm glad it worked out. Good luck on your adventures with your little girl.