close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wade-Able Bay Water??

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by PRJ, Oct 11, 2017.

1. PRJ

PRJ

Are these areas to get to by boat fairly close to shore?

2. daddyduck

daddyduck

Hunting the bay 10 -15 years ago when bay was low and you could walk 200+ yrds from shore on dry land,I thought I would never see the water up like it is now.

3. PRJ

PRJ

Tell me about it! I always considered "low bay levels" to be somewhat depressing but definitely took for granted the ability to wade out to duck hunt!! Bittersweet I guess!!

4. Spartan88

Spartan88

30 years ago there were no phrags...

fishbuster likes this.
  5. RiverRanger

RiverRanger

Plus throw in the fact you could come across a Northeast wind like today, now the water is over your waders. i think this will be year number four I cant hunt the Bay shoreline.

6. Duckman1

Duckman1

Ok so what are some thoughts on what this higher water level will do or not do for the duck hunting? Last time I remember water as high as it is now was roughly 1997. Just started hunting right about then and not any Bay experience. More divers in close possibly?

7. craigrh13

craigrh13

More hunters and less ducks. By less ducks I mean the birds will be more spread out. It was nice when the water was a little lower a couple years ago. Outboards couldn’t reach where I liked to go. Now they can and now there’s blinds everywhere.

brookies101 likes this.
  8. Duckman1

Duckman1

Ok. I guess if access is easy, more pressure. I started hunting the West side of the bay when you could wade out half a mile and be less than knee deep if the wind was blowing out.

9. adam bomb

adam bomb

I think it's more of a diver game unless you put in your time and find the shallower hidden away pockets the puddlers are tucked into. And with the thick vegetation that's blanketed our shoreline during the low water periods you're gonna have to work hard to find and access them. With the water being 3-4' at the edge of the cattails it's just too deep for dabblers. It's not their preferred habitat and they will move to and hold in the areas that have what they need. And that's great for the ducks because it's gonna keep a whole lot of them alive being off the beaten path.

10. smoke

smoke

No not really and where the water used to be ankle deep in now over waist deep. Not trying to be a bad news bearer, but the water has been continually rising for the last 4-5 years.

11. The Doob

The Doob

Yes I do. I heard the big double decker blind isn't being put out though. Have you heard this as well???

12. population control

population control

Plenty of spots to hunt. There's 4 blinds east of Heisterman not a single one on the north end. Perfect spot for you. Times change. Water levels rise , ducks disperse into new areas find them and quit crying.

As of Monday the big blind wasn't out there. Did some bass fishing and didnt see it

smoke likes this.
  13. Lurker

Lurker

hunt mid-week
    less pressure

14. craigrh13

craigrh13

There’s 3 blinds in a few hundred radius on the north end where I hunted frequently with a certain wind. That was as of August when I was back in that area.

15. just ducky

just ducky

I would agree that the birds will be more dispersed than in recent years just due to more water back in the shallows. And yes diver hunting will be better for those who hunt the edges, vs. when the water was low and the divers stayed out further. But there still should be good numbers of puddlers to get at. I looked back at my records, and the last year when water was comparable in depth was '97, and we shot the heck outta puddlers then in a few choice spots. So the key this year in my mind is do your scouting and homework, and find those places that are now flooded again. They will hold puddlers at times.

Lurker and smoke like this.