close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wade-Able Bay Water??

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by PRJ, Oct 11, 2017.

1. PRJ

PRJ

Anyone finding any wade able water in the Bay?

2. Dead Bird

Dead Bird Mods

Which bay.... and where on the bay....

3. craigrh13

craigrh13

No wade able water. Not even worth it. Just stay home.

4. kozbones

kozbones

That water is deep. With a NW wind it will be very deep.

5. The Doob

The Doob

That is a good question. On the east side in Quanicassee, the water is 3 - 4 feet at the cattails so it is iffy at best there. Same for the Unionville/Sebewaing area around Fish Point, Buds & Pops/Geiger Road. If you can get up into the middle grounds there MIGHT be some. The north side of Heistermann Island could be a possibility but that is questionable as well. The above assessments are for flat calm water - throw in any wind and depending on the direction the water levels could go up or down a foot.
    Bottom line, wading is probably a no go on the East side of Saginaw Bay

ma1979 and Far Beyond Driven like this.
  6. Lurker

Lurker

7. just ducky

just ducky

My first reaction was you're asking this 3 days before the opener? I was ready to say "yes" as well LOL. But I'll try to be constructive here. The Doob's assessment of the east side is pretty much the same for the west side. I've done my scouting, and there are wadeable areas, but I'm not going into specifics...put it the time and you will find them. Suffice to say the bay is way up again this fall, so areas on the west side that you used to wade are likely not wadeable this year. Especially on a east/NE wind

8. Lurker

Lurker

3 days before AND first post
    :)

9. craigrh13

craigrh13

North side of heisterman has a blind every 7’ now. That area has turned into a circus show.
    However, yes, there is still a lot of wade-able water left.

@The Doob, you have your blind out in wildfowl bay this year again?

10. PRJ

PRJ

Sorry about that! Saginaw. Sometimes I forget there are other Bays!!

11. PRJ

PRJ

Yeah I realize it's so close to opener. Just new to all of this and was hoping to give it a try but not really set up for deep water. Also not a very tech savvy person! Came across the forum while searching and thought it might be worth a try to gain some insight from experienced hunters. Thanks to those of you who tried to share your input and knowledge on the conditions out there. Good luck to all!

12. just ducky

just ducky

No issues. But I'll be perfectly honest...most of the areas of the bay around shore are going to be too deep for comfortable wading, because it's 3 1/2' to 4' minimum. So unless you scouted out some areas back in the marshes, where it's shallower and wadeable, you'll likely get wet. So I'm being very honest to you here...either get out there in the next day or two to scout so you aren't wandering around blindly opening morning, disrupting those who did do their homework, or wait at least until mid-day Saturday, then get out and look around. Really...that's the courteous thing to do. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but just trying to be up-front

cruiseplanner1 likes this.
  13. PRJ

PRJ

No...No that's great! The last thing I want to do is disrupt anyone. I appreciate the honesty and taking the time to shed some light!! Hopefully I can get out a poke around for something somewhat shallow. Looking to hunt somewhere between Quanicasee and Fish Point...

14. just ducky

just ducky

Lots of area to scout in that stretch. Good luck

15. smoke

smoke

Depends on how tall you are? If your 8' tall then there are plenty of places that are wadeable. :lol: If you are of average height, then not many these days, as the water has come up several feet over the last few years. You can get to wadeable water if you have a boat to get there though.