wacky rigging senko's

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by DaveW731, Jun 8, 2010.

1. DaveW731

DaveW731

Read a tip somewhere about using ( I believe) some type of surgical tubing about 1/2-3/4" long to slide onto a senko and then putting the hook through the tube so that it runs parallel with the bait, instead of perpendicular, like it does when using an 0-ring.
    Anyone ever try that?

2. VooDoo

VooDoo

i have never seen this and I have done alot of research on senko's.

3. TrekJeff

TrekJeff

I've read about it and tried it....I like O's better...btw $2off Senko's at Gander until the 20th

4. West Side AK

West Side AK

works great! just let it sink.... even a small jig head to let it sink faster.... bass,pike, walleye, and of course rockbass love it....

its a little to slow for me though...

5. DaveW731

DaveW731

BTW: I worded my original post wrong way around: the way the tubing is used is to allow putting the hook perpendicular to the bait, instead of parallel, like with an O ring.

6. ManxFishing

ManxFishing

I myself don't like the O-rings for the reason that the hook is parallel

Never heard of the tubing
    But you can use shrink wrap. It makes one tough worm

7. breuker19

breuker19

I use a few methods for my wacky worms so they don't get torn up. Get the thick plastic straws and cut into little sections and slide it over the worm. I also use small zip ties and zip it around the middle of the worm and hook through that instead of the worm itself...saves alot of worms from getting ripped off!

8. swampbuck

swampbuck

9. TrekJeff

TrekJeff

10. DaveW731

DaveW731

Still results in running hook parallel with the senko, because of the O ring. My goal is to have the hook perpendicular, without having to tear up the bait in order to do so.
    Maybe that tool (or the bottom half of a ball point pen) could be used for putting on a piece of tubing. Also, the plastic straw idea looks like a good one. Could even use it to provide some added color.

11. shady oaks

shady oaks

same here. a new method i tried this year (actually my wife did, to get her aquaited with hook setting and all that jazz) is to wacky rig it and put a bobber 2-4 foot above it. Works great when theres a little to alot of wave action. Try throwing that out while cranking, jigging or however else you prefer to fish.

12. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

What's the big deal then??
    If you're missing fish , you need a different hook maybe....
    :lol:
    There's also the option of putting 3/8" heat shrink tubing over the worm & poking the hook perpendicular if you REALLLLY insist.....
    In case Sea Nympho shows up in this thread , he'll tell you how often I miss the hook set on a bass when they chomp an O-ring senko....He always comments when my drag barks.
    :evilsmile

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  13. bassdisaster

bassdisaster Banned

I hear alot of guys talkng about wacky rigging senkos, well my self I dont do it:yikes: I wacky rig a dropshot often tho!
    I like a 3/0 or 4/0 worm hook and hook it texas, its a sinking minnow, its a sinking rip bait as well, if your catching fish the cost of the baits is inconsequential! ya!
    Not to mention theres alot of guys pouring them now, with scents Yamamoto does'nt even have! And usually you can get them 5 or 10 to 1 V.S. the cost of yammi's!

BD

14. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster Premium Member

Kind of off topic but I just picked up some Yamamoto Swim Senkos to try. They look pretty versatile. Fished weedless and weightless its looks to be another spin on a jerk bait, swim bait, fluke, or a Slug go etc. We'll get em' wet this weekend!

15. DaveW731

DaveW731

Tried SS's weightless a couple years ago. Seemed like they always flipped over on me. lead, either a slip sinker or using a hook with lead on the shank seemed to solve the problem.