close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vintage rod success/SW report

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Vicious Fishous, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Vicious Fishous

Vicious Fishous

Fished a smallish tributary yesterday. I used an old yeller Eagle claw super noodle rod that my deceased farther picked up at a garage sale. He never got to use it before pancreatic cancer took him quickly. He was a great fisherman, for everything but steelhead. He always wanted to get better at it. So, I figured I may as well give the old rod a shot, for his sake. He would have been there with me, it kinda felt like he was.
    I had just got some fresh eggs from a friend, and cured them to the best of my ability. I tied a bunch of micro bags, like 6-7 eggs per satchel. I floated them under a bobber, in an ultra low, clear little river, That had plenty of scraped up gravel, but no visible fish. Things were slow, until I cracked a beer, gave a sip to dad/river, then somehow went 3-9 in two holes, in less than an hour. I feel like I hooked everything that was in those holes. It all happened quickly. Bite after bite, even had 3 in 3 drifts, then nothing. The noodle rod was not what I was used to, but after a several good battles, I got a few to net. Either way, it looks like it’s winding down around the southwest part of the state. But really, get out there, and fish with your dad, your kids, whoever makes you happy. Make some memories, and catch some fish.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1523050214.332629.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1523050236.604973.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1523050529.567098.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1523050609.494081.jpg

gino, jumbojake, mjh4 and 15 others like this.
  2. antlerhunter

antlerhunter

Great day of fishing. There was a thread here this week about fishing alone.It's all in the heart and soul. You going to continue using that noodle rod? I would.

3. Vicious Fishous

Vicious Fishous

I do enjoy fishing alone. My dad was first guy I’d call with a report after fishing. So, I really miss these calls. After this trip, I’ll definitely use that noodle rod a few times a year. Inheriting all his fish fishing gear, makes my collection far too big for one person to use. I’m sorting stuff out, and will be giving a lot away to young, or less fortunate Fisher people, who are passionate about fishing.

TK81, gino, unclecrash and 3 others like this.
  4. Spin to Win

Spin to Win

Awesome, awesome, awesome post.

Really enjoyed reading about paying you homage to your father with his old rod. Very cool. A tip of my cap to you for the great day, and RIP to your dad.

BMARKS likes this.
  5. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Nice!! It is always rewarding to use something passed down from a parent or mentor. My dad passed over 40 years ago and I still have and use some of his fishing and hunting gear on occasion, it brings back a lot of good memories.

6. Clum

Clum

Thanks for the report! Posts like these make me think I should lay off the plastic bottled water. Estrogen Mimickers got me all teary eyed.

Vicious Fishous and Trout King like this.
  7. Grizzyaries

Grizzyaries

That is awesome! A great tribute for your father and giving life to a rod to battle fish. Great job sir!

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

Trout King likes this.
  8. Trout King

Trout King

That is too sweet. Nice work anf that rod looks like a keeper.

9. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Admit it vicious, it was fun fighting them on a noodle and light line wasn't it?

unclecrash and Vicious Fishous like this.
  10. baker

baker

Vicious Fishous likes this.
  11. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

Your dad picked well, those old Eagle claws are the whip,there's nothing like an old glass fly rod blank repurposed into a steelhead rod, that's what made Gary Loomis famous, not to mention the popularity of those hand made custom fiberglass noodle rods in Michigan back in the seventies & eighties :)
    flasback to 1964
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewinterviewgaryloomis.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  12. Vicious Fishous

Vicious Fishous

The rod will stay in my arsenal as long as I can keep catching fish with it. So, hopefully a long time. I have another like it to give to my cousin. If I get one of those fresh monster steelies over 15lbs on that thing, I’d be little scared. It certainly was fun battling fish on a lighter rod. I usually run a heavier set up, so I can have a half a chance at pulling them out of the cover, or get them in quickly so I can release them “unharmed”.
    I don’t know what the afterlife holds, but I hope my dad’s enjoying it. It will be a year next week since we lost him. F cancer.

Black Ghost and antlerhunter like this.
  13. flipper1

flipper1

From the pics I’m pretty sure I know where u were. I have some property farther upstream that does not get a lot of fishing pressure and can be very good. I’d be glad to take u with your dads rod sometime. Pm me if you’re ever interested

14. MrFysch

MrFysch

My dad passed a couple years ago. He was kind of a legend to me and some of my friends. Took the time to take us trout fishing...steelhead and salmon fishing when we were Young teens. I was amazed to find a ton of his old gear squirreled away in a few spots. 1810 Shakespeare reels..Martin 72 flyreels..a real gem was a pflueger anti-reverse flyreel. I try and use them often and Everytime on the river I miss him dearly and using his old gear makes the old memories rush back.