close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Views on fast fly rods

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by fishmark, Aug 2, 2017.

1. fishmark

fishmark

Need some input. I've never cast a Fast fly rod.
    Any input on these entry level rods.
    Hardy shadow
    Winston vapor
    Sage accell
    My favorite rod is my sage sp 5 wt. Some how my 20 year old
    St Croix legend 7wt is gone. Just can't find it.

2. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

My favorite fly rod is SO slow you can take a nap waiting on it. It's a split cane, by Sharpes Scottie 88. 6 weight. I find that I am more accurate with a slow rod vs. a fast rod.

3. fishmark

fishmark

I have a 5 wt Orvis Battenkill bamboo that loads to the cork...lol It stays in its case.

4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Love those slow rods, SO relaxing!

5. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Most of my rods are slow action, several Bamboo from 4-7wt. and my favorites are the Sage RPL series of rods. I own a few faster rods, but enjoy fishing the slower rods more, they just seem to be more comfortable to fish and fit my style of casting. That said, when fishing the Switch rods or Spey rods I think a little faster rod works better for me.

D

6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

My Spey Rod is a Bruce and Walker 10.5' glass rod. (you can tell how old I am and where I learned to fly fish based on that rod) It is VERY slow, but can cast a heavy salmon fly on a dime.

7. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I have a friend that builds Bamboo Spey rods that are a blast to fish with, he is a artist on the rods and has several tapers that he has developed for this type of fishing.

D

8. lodge lounger

lodge lounger

I like fishing close, like within 25 or 30 feet, so super fast rods don't do much for me on trout. They always feel kind of clunky in my hand, specially when I'm trying to lay down a small dry fly without much line out. I read that moderate action rods are easier to throw than the real fast stuff for guys with less experience, which probably says something about my skill level.

9. cjnicol

cjnicol

Several years ago, my wife bought me a St. Croix SCV 5 wt. blank. I was excited to build the rod. It was supposed to be the best blank they make. After finishing the rod, I put a 5-1/2 wt line from orvis on the reel and tried to fish it on the AuSable, I was very disappointed. It was a lot more rod than I ever needed.

It was soon relegated to a streamer rod with a sinking tip line and I also used it when hex fishing. This year I picked up a used 6 Wt. Sage RPL+. This is now my hex rod, I haven't had a chance to cast streamers with it yet. I am guessing the SCV will see little action ever again. It is just too stiff for me. I am sure there is a place for this rod, but I don't think it is in Michigan.

Just my 2 cents,

Chris

10. fishmark

fishmark

I think I'll look on Ebay or online for a used 7 wt. older sage. I don't do spey rods....maybe I need to give that a try. The Big Manistee and the bigger rivers is what I want it for.
    Thanks for the imput.

11. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I bet they are great

12. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I have some wicked fast Orvis rods (4, 6, 8 & 9). I only use them for windswept open water (Big lake or ocean) or casting DC lines or heavily weighted flies in big rivers. They suck for roll casting, and are tough, but not impossible to get a delicate landing out of, but they can sure bomb out the line and cheat the wind with tight little loops.
    Mid flex are the best choice for small to middling waters where laying out a full line is pointless.

13. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Try to look for a RPL in 9-9 1/2' and you will have a great rod for the bigger waters that you mentioned in a slow to moderate action rod, the RPL+ is also a choice just a little faster. I have the RPL's in 4, 6, 8, and 10wt. and use the 8wt.s for both Steel and Salmon with the 10wt. being used when the Salmon get in the 20+ lb. size. (hopefully this fall from what is out in the big lake now) The 4 and 6wt.s get a real workout on Blue Gill and Trout.
    Good luck on your search.

D

14. It's funny, many people like a fast rod for whatever reason and then slow it down with a 1/2 or whole weight heavy 'crutch' line.
    I fish rods that are true to the line weight labeled (or hand written) on them.
    I shy away from one-dimensional rods that are just fast or slow or any extreme. There are some darn remarkable rods out there now that shift gears as needed. For tight, close-in work the cast well just using the tip section(s). As you stretch out the cast or go from small to larger, wind resistant flies the softer tip stays out of the way as the beefier, starchier sections take over. The first rods I owned that did that were the old Loomis GLX classics. It took almost a decade for some other manufacturers to get the memo on making rods with a lot of usable range. In fact, Sage just recently started using a graphite scrim instead of 'glass. Loomis has been doing that for decades.
    Sometimes people seem to forget how much influence they can have on how a fly rod performs. You can present a small fly quietly and in close quarters with a fast rod if you speed up and shorten the stroke and stop the fly above the water so it lands gently.
    I wish I could help you on the rods you mentioned but I haven't cast them.
    Another big consideration in all of this is the fly line. The wrong line on any of those high-zoot $900.00 can turn it into an expensive turd while the right line on what some consider a dog of a rod can wake it up and make it purr. The problem is, there aren't many places you can try out different lines but the spring fly-fishing show the Michigan Fly Fishing Club puts on in Warren is about as good as it gets for that since the major manufacturers are usually there. I've bought rods because they played well with the line I wanted to use.
    Good luck with your search!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017