View from Outback Shack I

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Whit1, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

Below is the view of my food/kill plot from my Outback Shack I which is on the property where we live. The plot is rye and is about 2/3rds of an acre in size. There are shooting lanes that cover two main entries into the plot. The area surrounding the plot consists of two pine blocks, one spruce block and "volunteer pines from scattered to very thick. I've hunted this spot for many years and have taken, and grandsons have taken four deer that are on walls including a very nice 8 pt. this year with a 17.5 inside spread taken by a grandson.

[​IMG]

2. OSXer

OSXer

Looks like a great view. How far away is the plot?

3. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

The near edge is about 60 yds. from the shack the floor of which is 6' above the ground. One of the bucks mentioned above was in the plot, another (from my Outback Shack II which is on the far side of the plot...for east winds) was a much longer shot due to circumstances (a long story) and one buck was in a north entry lane while the other, this year's, was from a south entry lane.

The view above is looking WNW.

There is also an "island" of grass and pines along the north side of the plot. It can be made out in the photo above.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  4. marksman72

marksman72

Looks like many variety of Pine trees in the pic, did you plant them or are they native?

5. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

They are red pine and were "volunteers" from surrounding trees.

6. stickman1978

stickman1978

Looks like a beautiful setup.