VHF Radio Be needing a new one

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by Pumpintheline, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Pumpintheline

Pumpintheline

All, I posted this on Boat and Boat rigging. Received one response. Hope fully I can get a little more help here below is what I posted for needing a new radio
    What say u?
    I am in need of upgrading my radio. Saturday I tried a radio check no answer. Could hear everyone but couldn’t talk. Yes Dear it was plugged in and yes I tapped it like you do. Lol. I even called a friend who was on the lake pretty close and he could not hear me on the radio. I have the wife’s blessing now and I have decided it’s time to upgrade. I read there is GPS and other features on newer models. Not looking for the best of the best but some recommendations as to what to look for and what is out there reasonable ie $150-250 guessing for the radio itself?
    Lastly, while I have the blessing, I might as well upgrade the antenna as well don’t you think?
    TIA.

2. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Standard Horizon GX1700
    Combine it with a good 6db Shakespeare antenna (8') and you're probably looking at about $350 total.

Hunts4ducks and marty59 like this.

3. 12riverfish

12riverfish

:yeahthat:

Standard Horizon 1600 & 1700 are discontinued - replaced by the 1800 which is $220.

I have the Standard 1400 Eclipse - it has worked fine for 12 years.

A good antenna is crucial to any radio functioning well.

Buy the best antenna you can find (tough these days) and any Standard Horizon radio and you should be all set.

Quack Addict and marty59 like this.
  4. marty59

marty59

A new radio with integrated GPS capability is a great safety feature in the unlikely event you have to send a distress signal. I am guessing your old radio had an antenna connection/connector problem. All good suggestions above but make sure your pl259 connector is soldered non properly or you will run into the issues.

Marty

Hunts4ducks and Quack Addict like this.
  5. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder

Antenna is definitely the big part of the set up. Buy the best antenna and a good radio. Should be all set.

6. roger23

roger23

I had a radio problem this year .The connector for the antenna was corroded ,and the cable was bad from raising and lowering the antenna .it was at least 15 years old .replaced it and radio works fine again.I probably should think about a new radio.

7. bd670

bd670