Vexilar Sonarphone for boat - recent review?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Steve, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I'm thinking about going with one of these for my boat.

What I like about it:
    • Tight integration with Navonics (split screen between the two apps)
    • Virtually unlimited screen options. I could even have two screens (an old phone and a tablet). Why pay for a fancy screen when you already have one in a tablet. My old phone is waterproof as well.
    If anyone is using one of these on their boat, I'd love to hear more about it.

2. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

4. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

Maybe I'm old school and want something hard-wired.

The higher end units have really come down in price since I got mine 3 years ago

5. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

?? So you would rather pay $3000-4000 for a higher end unit instead of $180?

I wouldn't call $3000-4000 for the higher end units coming down. They seem to be going up.

6. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I'm one for getting rid of wires when possible and a huge advantage is that everyone who has a phone on the boat can connect and have their own screen.

I guess one disadvantage is the phone and tablet screens probably don't perform as well in direct sunlight.

6Speed likes this.
  7. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

He's not rigging a 50' yacht! I'm talking about a 7" screen.

8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Another disadvantage is when they drop a tablet or a phone in the lake. Whine, whine, whine all the way home...

I dropped a waterproof cell in an ice hole once and it rang for three days until the battery died. No answer! IMO the sunlight glare you mentioned will be a problem for sure. I know I can't see my cell on a sunny day on the water.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    sureshot006 and Shoeman like this.
  9. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Some of you guys must have a better set of eyes than this old man. I'm currently staring at a combination of Hummingbirds, an 899 on the console and an 859 on the bow, and there are times I can't see what I'm looking for. Probably the same reason I've got a 25" computer screen.

I'm assuming that you have a mount for your phone/tablet for hands free use.

CrawlerHarness likes this.
  10. wpmisport

wpmisport

Looks like a great idea, just mount a tablet on the dash and make a cover for shade.

11. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Lund is correct. With a Humminbird.....it isn't easy to change the angle on it, so you turn up the lighting. With a phone in your hand.....just turn 15 degrees and you can see your screen now.

12. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

You are one of the few. I paid $1500 for my 10" screen. And most of the guys I see at the boat launch have at least (3) 10"-15" screens networked....so more like $12,000 on their $70,000 sparkle boat.

13. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

If I want to watch TV, I’ll stay home

My 240 Sundance has the Elite and works good enough for me. The Whaler has a Hook unit with all the charts including the Everglades. Again a TV screen would be overkill.

Steve is talking about about a river boat, not a sparkle boat that needs all the gadgets to look cool. My point is that those units that once were above a grand are now close to 1/2 that.

Not talking carbons or Simrad. Maybe the “higher end” threw you off

14. piketroller

piketroller

If the goal is to catch as many fish as you can with buying a new rig, 75% of the budget should go into the boat/motor/trailer and 25% in accessories - electronics, trolling motors, a kicker, power poles, rod holders, etc. A loaded 18’ boat will help you catch more fish than a 20’ boat with a little 5” screen at the helm and a non-GPS enabled trolling motor up front IF you learn how to use all that fancy stuff.

15. piketroller

piketroller

Deals are out there if you keep your eyes open. I picked up a 12” Carbon last fall for a net of about $1200 after I sold off the other things in the bundle I didn’t need.

Shoeman likes this.