vex battery charging?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Kingor3, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Kingor3

Kingor3

I just picked up a used vex 18 without a charger for the battery curious if it is ok to use battery charger for the car on 2 amp 12 v???? dont know jack about this topic and being cheap not wanting to buy a vex charger just cause it says to use one on the battery....thanks for the knowledge:chillin:

2. jamieking989

jamieking989

mines a 1 amp. Also the vex style chargers have an auto shut off once the batterys charged. I'm sure you could, just have to keep an eye on it.

3. ih772

ih772

2 amps is a bit too much if you want the battery to last as long as it could. You can pick up a 12 to 14 volt at 500 to 1000 mA charger for less than $10 at places like radioshack or gandermountain.

4. irishjigger

irishjigger

Had the same thing happen to me. Wife put charger somewhere and can't remember where...but it's my fault:dizzy: Called Vex and ordered one and asked the guy if I could use a 2 amp charger until I got the new charger in the mail and he said yes. He didn't recommend doing it all the time...I just bought a new battery and charger for like $42 and got in in like 5 days!!

5. jamieking989

jamieking989

6. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mod

7. someguy

someguy

$7.00. I think i saw it on Dick's website. if not Gander Mountian or Bass Pro. Don't remember which but i know i saw it. Ironic i never would have looked at it, or had a reason to remember the cost.

8. skamaniac

skamaniac

All batterys and chargers are not created equal.

9. Banditto

Banditto

both batteries for my vex I have bought came with a cheapy 1/2 amp charger. I run accessories off it like an led light (thought about adding a cigarrette lighter).

I have used the cheapy charger and the original vex charger and they both do the job. I have had a vex since the early fl-8, moved on to an fl-18 and still going strong but batteries last 3-4 years each and cost around $20 (and came with a charger)

10. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I ran an electronics shop in the early '80's...
    You're preachin' to the choir!

I use (and recommend HIGHLY) the El ChEEp0 7 (or 8) AH battery with the chEEp0 charger - I think I paid $20 for BOTH a few years ago....
    Thanks for stating that the difference between a $20 setup and the $42 setup isn't WORTH $22 more.....
    :evilsmile :lol:

11. ih772

ih772

I think its sort of odd that people will spend nearly $50 dollars to extend the life of a $20 battery. The difference in charging cycles between a cheap $5 charger and a much more expensive charger is very small. So small that you will be in the ground before you reach the break even point of that purchase.

If you're worried about forgetting to unplug the charger and accidentally overcharging the battery with a $5 charger, go buy an inexpensive light timer and set it to recharge your battery for the same number of hours that you ran your sonar unit. For about $10 - $15 you can have a good charging setup and you saved yourself $30 for jigs, bait and other toys.

12. skamaniac

skamaniac

I also use the battery charger that came with my battery, but i also use a battery minder. Specifically a Deltran Battery Tender Jr.(smart charger). I bought it to keep the charge on my quad and snowmobile batteries in top condition. If you do a little homework you can find one for under $20.00 and will have a charger that will work for all of you SLA or Gel pac batteries. If a didn't come with my battery, this is what i would puchase. I think i paid around $25.00 with shipping to have a charger to keep all my batteries charged. I also use the 7ah batts to run my trail cams. Let's see, 1 snomobile batt, 1 quad batt, 4 trail cam batts (one of which i use for the vex) can all be charged with a smart charger and can also be used for my 2 boat batteries and a trolling motor battery or any 12v lead acid battery. IMHO, $25.00 is not too much to spend to get the most out of your batteries. I keep the Batt Tender plugged in to my quad all winter unless needed for other duties. I plow with the quad and using the winch will put a strain on the battery.
    There are other battery minder on the market, but i really like my Batt Tender Jr. Check them out.
    http://www.batterytender.com/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010