Vest, chest pack or waterproof backpack

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Lamarsh, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I usually just toss my stuff in my waders and have always preferred fly fishing with no restrictions of a vest or pack, but as I get more into it I acknowledge I need to carry a bit more stuff with my. Just wondering what some of you are doing, and the ups and downs of things like vests, chest packs and waterproof backpacks. Leaning towards a waterproof back pack of some sort, but not sure.

Thanks

2. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Depends on the fishing method. I use a canvas creel with a couple pockets most often. I do use a vest at times. When creek trout fishing in April /May I use my old friends wicker creel for good luck and tribute.

Lamarsh likes this.

3. mfs686

mfs686

Same here, quick stop and walk I carry everything in my wader and pockets. All day or long hike I use my Orvis Sling Pack. Everything is behind me and out of my way until I need it then I can just pull it around. Enough room for a couple of fly boxes, water bottle, extra reel and all my MOW tips. I can hang it on a tree in an area I'll be fishing to keep it dry. I am going to pick up a waterproof day bag with a slot for my net soon. Going to Alaska in August and I hear it tends to rain out there. lol

Lamarsh likes this.
  4. Bighunther

Bighunther

Purchased a chest pack a couple years ago. I like it a lot more for my steelhead gear. Everything is right there and not falling out of the small pockets like my vest has. Lost a box full of hooks and beads sank to the bottom at the highbanks in Oscoda. My buddy uses a back pack style and it seams really awkward to me. Hope this all helps. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lamarsh likes this.
  5. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I literally just packaged and sent my Patagucci fly fishing vest to a relative in PA as I have not used it in years. I switched over to a side bag and havn't looked back.

[​IMG]

I keep scissors and forceps on a sturdy zinger that keeps them handy and also prevents them from being donated to the trail or river.

Lamarsh likes this.
  6. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

vest, Sling pack, waist pack, hybrid chest pack, back to the vest. I tried, nothing beats a vest. Lots of nice Orvis packs in the basement taking up room........

BIG "D", SND and Lamarsh like this.
  7. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

scaling down your offerings according to time of year is the real ticket!

No sense in bringing every fly you tied since 1982.

This is what I use 80% of the time. I just sling it over my shoulder

[​IMG]

unclecrash, Lamarsh and PunyTrout like this.
  8. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

sometimes I only carry this :shhh:

[​IMG]

Lamarsh likes this.
  9. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

That would require a very large trunk and some Stevedores... :lol:

Lamarsh likes this.
  10. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

And several guides to carry it! :whistle:

Lamarsh likes this.
  11. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Shoean has accused me of over packing on more than one occasion.
    All I said was he needed a bigger truck. :O

12. Michigan Muck Hunter

Michigan Muck Hunter

Switched from a Fly vest to a Umpqua Sling pack 3 years ago. I didn't like having anything on my chest and Muskegon Fly shop gave me a great deal on the sling pack. I can surprisingly fit everything I had before with the exception of my DSLR camera which is fine. I like having everything at my back and I can sling it around the front of me and all the zippered compartments at right there on the top to retie in the water. For me, I love it.

Lamarsh likes this.
  13. Michigan Muck Hunter

Michigan Muck Hunter

Also, I can no longer carry a couple of brews so those get stuffed in the waders.

Lamarsh likes this.
  14. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Thanks for all the input guys.

I played with the idea of a chest pack last year, returned two that I tried, both laid most of the weight around my neck and it bugged me too much.

Right now I carry everything in my waders and on a neck lanyard. I have my eyes on that waterproof patagonia sling pack, just swings forward and you unzip it. Main thing I'm dealing with here is ways to carry one extra layer of clothing, be it long sleeves or a rain coat, and/or waterbottle, thermacell, things that are annoying to just stuff in your waders, and things that you'd hate to just have drop out of your waders and into the river. This patagonia sling pack is pricey but so far it fits the bill....

My problem with backpacks was always that I intended to never get them wet, hang them on a tree, or just wade carefully.... but in reality, it always takes a dunk. There are fully waterproof backpack options I've looked at that are around $100 cheaper than this waterproof patagonia sling pack, but I am thinking for an extra $100 it is worth not having to deal with unrolling a traditional style dry back top and having a waterproof zipper thing instead. I also like how easy it is to just swing a sling forward rather than sort of undo a backpack and pull it around forward.

Shoeman likes this.
  15. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I have a few versions of the shoulder bag I referenced earlier in post #5. The other piece of kit that goes with it is a shoulder harness that fits the bag 'high up' on the back. It also accommodates any MOLLE type pouch.

There are a lot of military harnesses and packs as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If the pictures don't load follow the link(s) instead.

https://ii.cheaperthandirt.com/fcgi...handirt/source/bjr-834_1.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg

https://www.asmc.de/images/product_images/popup_images/27001_0.jpg

Lamarsh likes this.