Velvet Buck Mount?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by sniper, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Admin Mod

My understanding is that antler growth is hormonally regulated in deer, more than blood flow.
    Young deer, and older deer are probably more likely to maintain velvet longer due to decreased testosterone levels.
    <----<<<

Sharkbait11 likes this.
  2. sniper

sniper

V I do not believe there is any blood flow in or around his antlers. The velvet is on there pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

vsmorgantown likes this.

3. John Hine

John Hine

I think it’s formaldehyde they spray/paint on with a brush on the velvet to cure it. I’d go with the euro,

sniper likes this.
  4. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

That’s kinda what I suspected so not too sure you’ll have an issue but obviously your taxi will know more. And I’d definitely go with a shoulder mount. Super cool buck.

Craves, hbt and sniper like this.
  5. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Close, it's formalin solution. Water and formaldehyde.
    I bought a kit Which contain 6 syringes, and then As soon as my mule deer was killed, I Injected the Antlers every place I could get a needle in, trying to use the venous system of the animal.
    Sadly, after that mount was preserved, a storm destroyed it, along with many other of my mounts.

I don't think you can let the velvet sit around Before preservation, and expect it to stay on the antlers.

sniper likes this.
  6. sniper

sniper

Well I finally got this buck to the processor and caped out the other day but it came with a unexpected twist. The processor called me back into the skinning room and to my surprise pointed out numerous dark spots in the meat. Mostly in the rear hind quarters. He said he wouldn’t process the deer and I was ok with it because I don’t think I’d want to eat it. Couple of the spots did have an odd smell. The buck besides being odd and in velvet, did have an old wound about 4” long slice on top of his back towards his rear legs. Not sure if this was the cause but not sure what else it could be. This is the first deer I ever shot that I didn’t eat. Pretty bummed but I am on the way to the taxi today to have him take a look to see what we can do with this buck. I’m am leaning towards a shoulder mount if the taxi say it’s a go. At least I’ll have his head preserved for a great hunt and memory.

7. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

H3ll! It's not my money! Mount it!

jr28schalm, sniper and jeffm like this.
  8. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Bad news. Sorry to hear that. Did you yank the bottom, front teeth? I'm putting a set in the mail today. Depending on the outcome at the taxi, at least give us a look at the jaw bone, please.

jr28schalm and sniper like this.
  9. anagranite

anagranite

I'll guess that the taxidermist will freeze dry the velvet. If there was blood then it has probably dried too much to inject.

I'm also curious on this wound, is it anywhere near his testicles? Maybe it severed his urethra (probably not the correct name but I didn't need those search cookies on my phone) and prevented testosterone from getting to his body.

I also don't blame you on not eating it, if a professional processor says it's not good then walk away.

10. sniper

sniper

I’ll see what I can do. It’s frozen as of right now. DNR aged at 3 yrs old so take that for what it’s worth. We believe it’s a bit older.

Craves and LabtechLewis like this.
  11. sniper

sniper

Yes I believe his velvet is totally void of blood so I believe that’s a good thing in preserving the antlers.

The wound was right on top near his spine right between his two hams. It was a long slice about 3-4” long. Wish I would’ve taken a pic of it.

On my way to the taxi. Meeting him at 2

12. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

In case anyone is interested:

20201201_133621.jpg

sniper, Hoytman5 and anagranite like this.
  13. sniper

sniper

Lab taxi gonna save me the jaw so we can take a look.

Good news is taxi said it looks like velvet is bone dry. Shouldn’t be any maintenance. He doesn’t think this buck has dropped his rack in quite some time. He’s been doing taxidermy almost 50 yrs and hasn’t recalled doing a deer quite like him. He’s letting it defrost and will hit me back up tomorrow with the final verdict. As of right now I’m doing a right hand shoulder mount with ears kicked back a touch. Man cave reservation awaits.

14. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Good decision, all the way around. Will be a super-cool addition to the basement floor.

Did you get him to pull the teeth while you were there?

sniper likes this.
  15. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

I would actually put em on a pedestal ? You've got a LOT of great bucks but are any on a pedestal mount ? My buddy did something real bad ass with 3 of his bucks. I'll see if I can find picture.....

vsmorgantown and sniper like this.