close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Van Buren county Duck spots?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by nmilkovich, Oct 30, 2017.

1. spartansfan

spartansfan

The truth is, 9 out of ten people that don't read this site don't know the law properly, 6 out of 10 people on this site don't know it, and 3/10(at least) co' s don't understand it.

Draw a line from each end of the property line you have permission to hunt, to the center of the body of water. That is where you have the right to hunt. Excluding great lakes. The end.

It's a bogus law.

jwinks likes this.
  2. jwinks

jwinks

Your first clue should be that you found "public water" with no competition!

Sorry I can't resist...

3. ice ghost

ice ghost

Thanks fellas, I stand corrected. I talked to a CO and your right. Like I said I've never had a problem. I even grew up on a lake which apparently two generations hunted illegally. It was explained to me that I wouldn't have a problem until someone complained and and that most landowners don't even know about the law, but you're correct.

4. ice ghost

ice ghost

Hell, it's right at the top of this forum, I'm a dumbass.

Duckman Racing likes this.
  5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I was sculling on my parent's lake when a cop pulled up at the boat launch and started yelling at me. Gray area. So I unloaded and cased the gun, paddled over, and got ready to have a discussion.

Cop "seeing any redheads?"

"Uh, no sir. Ruddies and Buffies"

Cop "well, have fun with that"

And he rolls up his window and drives away.

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  6. just ducky

just ducky

Basically the same answer you will get from most CO's. This is just one of those laws that they HATE to go to court over because even judges don't understand it. But if there's a legitimate complaint, they will.

Had the same kind of discussion with a CO years ago about Houghton Lake, which is probably one of the most historically significant duck hunting sites in Michigan, but 99% of the hunters are technically breaking the law. The CO said the same thing...unless a landowner complains, they look the other way.

7. eye-sore

eye-sore

I believe the landowner must have a marine survey done to be able to file complaint.this was told to me by a co on duty in the middle zone this year

8. grassmaster

grassmaster

Just wait until deer season, the Co's are so busy trying to write a real ticket
    they'll never show up.

9. flighthunter

flighthunter

I love the logic of, I've been breaking the law for x years and never been caught so therefore my actions are OK and not illegal. it's even more rediculous when the same person advises others to do the same, talk about setting someone up for disappointment.

we're surrounded 270 degrees with water that does not fall under riparian law, there's plenty of huntable water that doesn't require breaking the law.

jwinks likes this.
  10. craigrh13

craigrh13

Here we go.

11. ice ghost

ice ghost

Yea, spoken like a true firefight.

12. danthebuilder

danthebuilder

Lake michigan, North of the SH pier about 1/4 mile. Also South of the pier about 1/2 mile. Then there is also out front of Deerlick creek.

You'll need a boat for all those locations.

13. grassmaster

grassmaster

unless your specifically in the lake lot owners pie who calls, the c.o wont come out.
    how does he know you don't have permission from one of the other 150 or so "pie owners"
    most are from out of state anyhow.
    Hunt it like you own it, the more "lawbreakers" who do this the better for all of us and it becomes the norm
    We as waterfowlers need to condition the public that water in the fall will be hunted for ducks and geese. stay 450 ft away, and retrieve your birds.
    weekdays are best and preferably before the time change as to not wake anyone up.
    its all good.

14. craigrh13

craigrh13

But but but
    “I love the logic of, I've been breaking the law for x years and never been caught so therefore my actions are OK and not illegal. it's even more rediculous when the same person advises others to do the same, talk about setting someone up for disappointment.

we're surrounded 270 degrees with water that does not fall under riparian law, there's plenty of huntable water that doesn't require breaking the law.“

15. jwinks

jwinks

That's ridiculous, and a good way to give waterfowl hunters a bad name. Especially when talking about an area with a lot of rich out of state nonhunters with disposable income and a love for change.org petitions.