close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Van Buren county Duck spots?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by nmilkovich, Oct 30, 2017.

1. just ducky

just ducky

yeah that...LOL

2. ice ghost

ice ghost

NMILCOVICH, hope you enjoyed your first dose of east side hospitality. That's what ya get when all the best waterfowlers in the state are hunting the best locations in the state. Paranoia, anxiety, and menstrual cramps. Hope ya found some birds. The gar hole is loaded.

nmilkovich and craigrh13 like this.

3. nmilkovich

nmilkovich

This went about as well as I had thought it would lol I am just continuing to goose hunt for now (Which I do have a field for lol). Thanks for the heads up about allegan county, made a scouting trip already.

4. nmilkovich

nmilkovich

Yeah this is my problem, I am on a lake but im holding out until most people are gone to feel it out.

5. ice ghost

ice ghost

Yea, I can see not wanting to rub neighbors the wrong way, even if you do everything legally, some people are gonna get offended. We got so many lakes along the county line though maybe check out some other lake. The problem with the lakes I'm finding, is that there's so much standing water in fields right now that they get up and off the lakes early and don't come back to roost til night. Geese are easier to see and follow. Watch for where they go and ya may find the ducks. That's how I found one of my best spots this year. We've shot two man mallard limits every time we've hunted it along with some other ducks and geese.

nmilkovich likes this.
  6. nmilkovich

nmilkovich

Exactly!! Im having that issue as well, I got permission from a farmer for a field (just down the road from the lake) which is where ive been shooting geese, but no ducks unfortunately. So then I started looking to lakes, but the lakes ive seen, I cant find any info on if they are actually huntable (which lead to the post lol) Thanks for the input!!

7. jwinks

jwinks

The short answer is, no, they are not huntable, unless you own the shoreline near where you are hunting.

8. ice ghost

ice ghost

Thats

9. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Or they have public land on shore you can be in front of, or a road dead end access in a township that allows hunting from same (and then you still have to be 450' from any dwellings)

10. ice ghost

ice ghost

The short answer is wrong. A handful of lakes have that stupid law that says landowners own out into the lake and you can't set anything on bottom in that area for X amount of feet, I'm sure there's info somewhere on here about that unique situation, I think Gun lake may have that law for example. In 20 years of hunting the area in discussion, this has never been an issue. If has public access and your 450ft from dwellings your good I think. I've been checked a lot by CO's on lakes due to the fact that nobody hunts them and landowners get freaked out when they hear shooting. Never had a problem ever. Been verbally abused by a landowner or two at access site for murdering innocent birds with feelings but that's a whole different thread in itself. Hopefully jwinks tells everyone this. I like having no competition. Now this thread will probably transform into a hunting laws blah blah blah fest any second now.

nmilkovich likes this.
  11. toppm

toppm

I'm from there and only deer hunt down there anymore. There are so many lakes in VB county that they only number them. Some are pretty desolate.

12. jwinks

jwinks

Lol. Thats the long answer. That you might get away with it, since people don't know the laws. Blah blah blah fest.

13. just ducky

just ducky

Exactly! Ice Ghost gave the POPULAR answer. But just because you've done it for years and "gotten away with it" does not mean it's legal. Just know one thing...just because there is public access on a lake, such as a public boat launch, does NOT mean you have the right to duck hunt said lake.

But I WILL NOT open up this old wound again, because there are too many "experts" on this forum.

jwinks likes this.
  14. jwinks

jwinks

Not even I want to argue about this one. I'm sick of it, And I love to argue.

15. just ducky

just ducky

LOL. I've tried MANY times over the years on here, and in person, and I'm done...
    glad to answer PM's if you wanna pick my brain....what's left of it.