value of muzzleloaders

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by puttputt, Oct 20, 2013.

1. puttputt

puttputt

I'm hoping to find someone with the knowledge to help evaluate several muzzleloaders we have in an estate. Pictured is one of them -- a 45 caliber built by Carl Van Wezel (Traverse City). Some of the others were built by Tip Curtis (Tennessee). I'd like to determine their value and learn any history about them. These guns were purchased in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Attached Files:

2. Rootsy

Rootsy

The one pictured? Maybe $500 to the right buyer. Tip Curtis currently supplies in the white guns for $1000 - $1100 give or take. In the white meaning you have a completed rifle less wood and metal finish applied.

You have to take into account fit, finish, part quality, execution, complexity and builder reputation. Very difficult things to do without good detailed photographs. Then finding someone to buy the thing in a niche market is an entirely different matter.

3. puttputt

puttputt

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, these are going to be tricky, so I'm hoping I can track down an expert (in Michigan) in this realm of firearms and have him take a look at the collection.

4. TenBears

TenBears

Do you still have the muzzle loaders?

5. puttputt

puttputt

I wish. The estate ended up in the hands of only one of the four siblings. :/