Valdez Alaska

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Aaronjeep2, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

im going to be heading to Valdez June-October I want to bag a Harle. All I see is one guid for that and it sounds like he only will do multiple day trips. I don't want the resort and all that crap for 2k puls thinking of buying a new boat there. Could I pull off a sea duck hunt buy myself I've been in some tuff stuff on Erie and clair but that ain't the ocean.

2. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

You need a boat IMO. Hunted on Kodiak a couple days and the issue is always getting your birds once downed. Between the sealions, eagles and tides the place likes to take your kills.

If a guy could get a kayak or something it would not be hard to kill a limit of harleys. Need to find the mussel shoals they feed on and it is easy.

We simply cruised the shoreline to locate the groups of harleys, flushed them out, dropped a dozen mallard decoys and we killed a limit of harleys for 4 in about 2 hours. Picking nothing but nice drakes. One guy even got a band.

I mounted 2 harleys from the trip along with a barrows and a common scoter.

LumberJ and Aaronjeep2 like this.

3. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I could bring My kayak with me I will do more research on that. I'm towing My Harley there so can't bring my boat. I see there is a place to rent boats for a day in Valdez I could try that option to.

4. LumberJ

LumberJ

I've hunted Tatitlek before which is a little south of Valdez. I wasn't hunting birds at the time, but I do recall the massive flocks that we saw while motoring around. Unfortunately, I think you would have a hard time getting the kayak to decent hunting grounds there. Boat would definitely be the right option but you would have to be very careful on where you go and what the tides are gonna do. If it were me, I would try to see if there are any hunting forums for up there and try to make a friend. Alternatively, you could talk to some of the fishing captains and see if either they know anyone or maybe see if they are willing to drop you and the kayak off at some point along the way as they head out. If you end up going further North during your trip (i.e. Fairbanks) let me know and I'll direct you to some good spots

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  5. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Thanks man I will send you a PM once it gets closer to the trip time. I plan on working the 4 months then stay their for a extra month. Just to much fishing and hunting I want to get done.

LumberJ likes this.
  6. walter sniper

walter sniper

Hunted Maine this past December.
    A word of advise is to go with a guide or try to find local hunters to team up with.
    Ocean hunting involves more than finding birds and retrieving. Tides are a huge part and not mowing them you can get into trouble quick, especially around rocks.
    Be safe.

LoBrass and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  7. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I will do some research on the tides I didint really think about them.may end up buying a 20 foot deep v Alaskan rig for fishing I can try to make friends to show me the ropes of the ocean.

8. Urriah

Urriah

Walt makes a great point. In my experience up there, the tides were the trickiest part of the hunt.

9. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

Yeah, tides are REAL and BIG water movements and changes occur in minutes. On duck hunts from shore you may move 4 times over the course of a hunt. Huge tides in some places.
    Fortunately, for the informed, they are very predictable.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  10. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

When we hunted out of Valdez we went 24 miles each way to shoot Harliquins. I’m sure they are available closer to the harbor. There is basically no road accessible shore hunting that is legal.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.