UV Killer

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by jiggin is livin, Sep 24, 2020.

1. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Actually I haven't bought any yet. I looked while at Franks yesterday and they have no such thing.

I am going to shine my UV light on my clothes and see what I see. I will probably get some, but I doubt it will be in use before I hunt.

2. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I've stepped in front of my camera a few times and noticed how different my coat looks compared to my pants. I might give it a try but I'll never admit that on this forum

3. Jet08

Jet08

People also crossed the country on horseback... Getty up cowboy lol :p

4. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

This thread's been dripping with sarcasm from its early stages, so forgive me if I'm misreading you.
    After two mentions, though, it's worth noting that UV light is on the low end beyond the Roy G. Biv visible spectrum and IR light is beyond the high end. I don't expect trail cam images are helping understand a garment's response to UV...

5. Chessieman

Chessieman

I use that religiously, that metric system sounds like a bigger deer. :D

I like to wear worn and faded hunting coats and pants. I am more concerned about sharp contrast in the dusk when walking out.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  6. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

At the end of the day, there are theories about what deer can and can't see but I doubt, in my lifetime, that'll ever be proven. I've also had times I was puzzled at what made the deer skittish and leave. It appeared it was something visual. When you see great differences in the appearance of clothing, in the infared light, it is a possibility that it is worth consideration. Maybe some day I'll find the reason, most likely I won't, especially if I do nothing.
    Sarcasm is fun and easy

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  7. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

It is obvious that it is most of us speak it as a second language.

Except @November Sunrise, pretty sure that’s his native tongue. Hell, he might even dream in it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  8. Waif

Waif

Study of deer vision compared to u.v. and brightness of colors noted by human eyes does hint of their being able to see more glow than we do.

Of particular interest (to me anyways) and one not personally followed up in study on years ago , was some animal ability to see color into (and perhaps beyond) the violet spectrum, where our vision/color ability begins to fall off rapidly.
    Combined with light gathering ability of deer eyes , the glow theory of u.v. gets more interesting.
    If not for the "color" I see in u.v. glow in pictures , it would be lots easier to dismiss the concern some folks have with it. But it being near enough the violet range , I wonder what I don't see that other critters might...

I'll continue to agree color enhancers don't do us a benefit. More so in maintaining brightness (if brightness is the right word) of new(er) garments. Not quite the same as u.v. in general , but close enough if "glow" is a subject.
    Like camo patterns and colors , we lean more toward human vision than deer vision sometimes in perceived ability to not stick out.
    But color bling humans (while not deer) can offer hints of color contrasts that stick out. Like yellow.

IF our vision/ability to see color spectrum falls of around /into violet , where do deer eyes start to fall off? That point or beyond should be our camo color choices.
    And certain shades of green are in there. But what shade? And if deer have trouble with greens , do they blunder into pine branches? Or see them as a grey or darker?

Not blundering into a "glowing" subject when not panicked or distracted makes sense.
    We just need to know what glows. Or more importantly , what glows most to deer. We know ten mile cloth glows for our eyes much more than a deer's , (color enhancers /u.v. aside). Then , we need to know what contrasts too much in deer vision in depth perception and definition. Then what color deer see as drab or hardest to notice easy. Then how to blend a worn color/colors with a background.

9. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I have learned that science evolves so much, theories disproven, new theories, constant flux.
    Deer, much like women I thought I had all figured out once. Now I realize, that is impossible.

Waif likes this.
  10. Waif

Waif

Ahh , but when one makes a gift of itself , how much do you try to figure out?

Both can figure out your intentions pretty fast , if they are on their game. And you're too obvious....

StevenJ and FREEPOP like this.
  11. FREEPOP

FREEPOP