close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Utv safe ice

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by fishin_noob, Jan 11, 2018.

1. fishin_noob

fishin_noob

Hi guys I did some searching but having a hard time with it. Bought a rzr 4 this year and would love to take it out on the ice. I've read what's safe for snowmobiles, atv's and trucks but nowhere do I see utv's. So what does everyone think is safe enough for a machine that weighs approximately 1300 lbs.

2. APEX PREDATOR

APEX PREDATOR

258_icethickness.jpg
    This seems like a decent place to start. Notice the notes on the bottom of the image.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Crawfish likes this.

3. fishin_noob

fishin_noob

4. APEX PREDATOR

APEX PREDATOR

Your welcome! Tight lines and be safe!

5. fishingmonster

fishingmonster

FYI

Attached Files:

dirtyfisheyes187 likes this.
  6. upnorthEric

upnorthEric

I wait for 10 inches before I bring my snowmobile/quad on the ice, and those are much lighter. I know it’s overkill but we never seem to get quality ice in MI and there are always areas that don’t freeze as well as others. If I really knew a lake and it was quality ice I would consider less. I watched my brother put a sled through the ice at my parents place years ago. Plenty of ice out in front of their place but apparently not so much in the area he went through.

7. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Common sense goes a long way .Creek outlets have much less ice quite a ways out .Springs can keep ice from forming .A group of snowmobile's found that out the hard way on a nearby lake some years back as they drove out into open water .I believe most of them drowned .Stay away from cattail shorelines there can be less ice there too .