Upper Huron Float Times?

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Lamarsh, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Just wondering whether anybody knows of a resource, or can just offer their own insight, into float times for the Upper Huron (Proud Lake all the way to Ann Arbor, but especially the stretch from Huron Mills to Dexter). Can't find much in terms of how long the floats are between the put ins WHILE FISHING. Never floated up there, so just wanted to make sure I don't get myself into too long of a float for an after work trip.

Thanks!

2. Zofchak

Zofchak

There's basically 50 miles of river between the Proud Lake launch and Barton Pond in Ann Arbor. From Portage Lake (The start of Hudson Mills) to the launch on Mill Creek in Dexter is just over 6 miles. Float times while fishing? Well that depends on how the bite is. LOL :fish:

Here's a website that shows a lot of the access points and a has map with the distances between them marked off.

https://huronriverwatertrail.org

Lamarsh likes this.

3. DasGoby

DasGoby

Skip’s canoe livery says Hudson mills to Delhi is 3.5 hours. I think that is based on slow paddling but not much stopping during average summer flow. It can take a lot less in higher water and a lot more in lower water. I’d say to downtown dexter is 60% of that full route time wise.

Lamarsh likes this.
  4. kroppe

kroppe

One rule of thumb for float time is river distance / (current speed x 2).

The Det River has about 3pm current and is “fast”. So use 1.5-2mph for the Huron.

Lamarsh likes this.
  5. kroppe

kroppe

Lamarsh likes this.
  6. Horgasz

Horgasz

Check the length of the section you want to fish using google earth.You can estimate 1 mile /hour average when you are drifting and fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman

Lamarsh likes this.
  7. BurlyCaveman

BurlyCaveman

I've done Dexter Huron metropark to Delhi metropark a few times this summer in about 2.5 hours. Stopping occasionally to fish.

Lamarsh likes this.
  8. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

You use a hard boat or a raft? I haven't been on the upper, but by the looks on Google Earth it looks like there's enough shoals with rocks where a hard boat that you can't get out and lift over like a canoe would be tough. Plus, it looks like there's a major lack of hard launch sites to launch a boat on a trailer, if any at all, so I was thinking carrying in my raft would be the only option.

9. BurlyCaveman

BurlyCaveman

That stretch is going to be limited to canoes/kayaks/tubes. I use a kayak myself. I did see one family in a small inflatable boat, but anything with a deeper draft (6-8 inches?) will have major problems.