Upland bird ?

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by David prater, Apr 15, 2018.

1. David prater

David prater

Hello I’m new to the sight thinking about coming up to do some grouse and woodcock hunting on public land since you have better bird opportunities is your public areas really crowded? Does it get better the farther north you go . This will be my first out of state hunt just curious what to look for. Thanks

2. Wolverick

Wolverick

Welcome David. You can find pockets of good bird hunting all over the state with the best being in the more forested areas. Generally the northern two thirds of the state. Even though I live in a well forested area I head south for better squirrel hunting. It is the same with birds, you have to find an area with good shooting. Good luck!

David prater likes this.

3. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

You have to realize that hunting season is closed until this fall.

4. David prater

David prater

Yes I know that

5. sourdough44

sourdough44

Hello. I’d start with a current Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer type map of MI, to get your bearings and plan the trip. A county plat book is handy also, may not be needed in some areas. I’m more versed in the U.P. than the Lower. There’s plenty of public access land when you get North.

I’d rather be out in mid Oct or later, when the leaves are in color or on the way out. Get yourself in good cover then walk a bit. He who walks furthest usually sees the most grouse & woodcock, luck contributes too.

6. Radar420

Radar420

I'd start by taking a look at some of the GEMS sites as these are historically good grouse areas and then branch out from there as these sites will receive more pressure. Maybe even cross reference the GEMS sites with the MI-HUNT app to find similar bird holding habitat in other areas.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79147_81529---,00.html

David prater and nafc2005 like this.
  7. wpmisport

wpmisport

There always have been grouse around Michigan but the woodcock numbers have been declining. Look for a good thicket of trees and a little swampy. Not to may people do it anymore. Do a lot of walking. Have a good time.

David prater likes this.
  8. Duckiller

Duckiller

Can't hunt now but you can look for mushrroms and see if your areahas any grouse signs. You are also scouting for deer signs. Hunting and fishing is a full time job. Enjoy it and good luck.