Upgrade Salmon Spoon Hooks

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by MI steelheader-Joe, Aug 13, 2020.

1. MI steelheader-Joe

MI steelheader-Joe

I want upgrade the hooks on my spoon box this fall. I’m planning on getting Gammi’s 4x treble. My only questions concern if that is too thick a hook from what I’ve been reading and what size hook to upgrade too for 3/4 oz cleos, Ko’s, mooonshines .... Any guidance is greatly appreciated.. running 20lb braid to 15lb-20lb fluro leader so you know what tackle I’m running.

2. CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

#2 Gammi’s 4x are solid. Just make sure to sharpen them when you get them. They are thicker so they will dull faster FYI. I bought some and they came in pretty dull. siwash 1/0 single hooks are also a good alternative. I hear a lot of good things about them and looking forward to trying some out in a couple weeks to see if it helps stick fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

tincanary and MI steelheader-Joe like this.

3. MI steelheader-Joe

MI steelheader-Joe

I’ve thought about siwash and I’m going to definitely be doing that for river fishing but off pier I personally think treble is better for me. I’ve heard mixed reviews on them off pier but that’s very interesting to hear you do it. I was thinking of buying the size 2, 1, or 1/0 so thank you for your recommendation, glad I didn’t go with the 1/0.... Thanks again for the reply and goodluck this season.

4. tincanary

tincanary

I like to run siwash hooks myself. They don't get hung up in the wood as easy as trebles.

MI steelheader-Joe likes this.
  5. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Casting from the pier I can't bring myself to try a single hook on the spoons. I can't tell you how many times I have seen two of the trebles buried in the corner of a fishes mouth. I think the hooking up has got more to do with where the spoon is in the fishes mouth when it grabs it. Have had them hit it, and I set the hook with a MH rod and 20lb braid and they do a 200foot blistering run, stop and turn, and the spoon just pops out of the fishes mouth. Other times if the spoon is in a good spot when it grabs the spoon the fish will set the hook itself. On a buddies first pier king, as soon as I netted the fish he realized he never even set the hook. Helps to be lucky sometimes.

6. Presidio

Presidio

My fishing buddies think that I am a bit of a "hook snob" because I always swap out the hooks and split o rings on all of my new lures right off the bat.

YMMV, but personally I feel that 4x is much heavier than necessary and that having a thicker, heavier hook comes at cost of losing fish. I've found that heavier hooks lose their hook point and dull more easily than lighter weight hooks. I'd recommend starting with a 2x hook first and wait to see if salmon are bending and/or breaking those hooks before you consider going to a heavier 3x hook. Similarly, if you find yourself failing to hook up with 20-25% of the fish that strike your lures then I would suggest going with either a different make or model and don't be afraid to switch things up.

7. gooseboy

gooseboy

Yup 2x for me, since the early 80’s except when the spring browns were around the saugatuck pier. God I hated that walk coming out heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

MI steelheader-Joe likes this.
  8. MI steelheader-Joe

MI steelheader-Joe

Thank you guys for the help.

skagitmaster likes this.
  9. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

I know some of the trollers like a siwash hook. But I thought it had something to do with it reducing the fishes leverage. I can certainly understand your idea of less snags but I just can't put the leverage mechanics together in my head.

6667supersport and tincanary like this.
  10. tincanary

tincanary

I dunno about leverage as far as the hooks go, not something I've paid attention to. I'm a wade fisherman so the less baits I donate to the logjam gods, the better.

11. Clum

Clum

imagine one hook of a treble buried into your hand, then imagine the whole treble rolling like a toilet paper tube to one side or the other. the other hook on the treble will anchor itself on the outside of your skin as it rolls and rip out the buried hook.

12. Presidio

Presidio

Out in the Pacific Northwest, it is illegal to run treble hooks and the law states that they have to run single hooks. So they run Siwash style hooks because they have to- not because they necessarily want to.

Call me a cynic, but I'd be willing to bet that they would prefer to run treble hooks if given the choice. The Pacific Northwest has always heavily influenced salmon fishing on the Great Lakes and hook choice is no exception.

There are some lures that have traditionally run single hooks, such as the Manistee Wobbler spoon and the Coyote spoon because the larger treble hooks at the time were too heavy for these small, lighter spoons and would impede the spoon's action in the water- hence the single Siwash hook.

Modern high-carbon chemically sharpened hooks have come a long way in the last 50 years and as a result are much stronger and sharper. Modern hook technology would allow one to fish a smaller, lighter hook with no loss of performance.

As a result it is now possible to run a modern treble hook behind a smaller, lighter spoon with no loss of action. In fact I would even go so far as to say that in many cases the action of the spoon is improved by a modern treble hook.

6667supersport and snootman like this.
  13. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

gama treble with two split rings . Best way I've found. Tried the siwash I didn't like it. Nothing beats a sticky treble hook.

Mbennie, taizer and 6667supersport like this.
  14. skagitmaster

skagitmaster

Single hooks are meant to be less injurious. It is little wonder they originated in the Pacific Northwest where silver fish populations dwindled and catch and release programs became a priority.

6667supersport likes this.
  15. shuttle1

shuttle1

So you're running two snaps off the back? That is interesting