close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured UP Trout Report - 3rd Week of August - Heavy on the Pics.

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by PunyTrout, Aug 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

It is not my balance that is the problem with being able to stream fish. It is my worn out body. I have a couple canoes but they are too confining to be able sit in them very long.

itchn2fish and zzcop302 like this.
  2. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

On home-based high bandwidth for the first time in 7 weeks...

one question on the big stream Brookie - was it on a stream open to Great Lakes Steelhead, etc., or above a blockage making the stream one just for Brookies?

I'm looking forward to fishing a reach without connection to the Great Lakes in a couple weeks.

Also quite looking forward to fishing a stream with more than 4' of open space to actually cast some spinners. Fishing heavy cover with bait is fun for a while but I have been missing open water, greatly.

Big Medicine, itchn2fish and zzcop302 like this.

3. zzcop302

zzcop302

I hear ya....health issues have limited my creek fishing as far as the wading and hiking involved in busting brush..... sure miss it and hope that I possibly can regain at least a little of the ability to do some limited wade fishing in the future.
    I am fortunate that I can still fish from my boat or places that are accessible from the shore or banks of some creeks and lakes....I miss the exploring and sights I see when wading.... but I'm glad an grateful to still be able to fish and enjoy the outdoors!!!
    Hope you can too, even if it's limited.

Big Medicine and itchn2fish like this.
  4. zzcop302

zzcop302

I hope you find that stream !
    Looking forward to a report if you do.... great weather up here in the UP right now.... looking forward to fall fishing as long possible until the snow flies !

Big Medicine and itchn2fish like this.
  5. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I'd rather not reveal too much information publicly. PM sent.

We're headed back up tonight for a few days. One last bite of the Yoop for the trout season...

On a side note, my new, "Waterproof, submersible up to 100 feet" camera took a crap. The lens filled with water making it unusable. Shame on you, Panasonic. Shame on you. :mad:

Big Medicine, zzcop302 and itchn2fish like this.
  6. zzcop302

zzcop302

Sorry to hear about the camera !!
    That's gotta be disappointing.
    Enjoy your time in the UP!
    I'm sure we will get a report and some pictures
    Maybe next year when there is more time I could take you to a few locations in the area.
    Good luck!

PunyTrout and Big Medicine like this.
  7. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

I'm heading to the west end soon. There is a whole river system out there with 42 miles on the main stem, plus tribs, not open to the Great Lakes fish. Such reaches aren't very hard to find at all, really. A Beaver might create one at any time, anywhere, I would also note.

I have become interested in the differences between the two types of water. I think the presence of Great Lakes smolts might reduce the #s of Brookies - but might make the Brookies bigger.

I could be wrong though. But that's why I go fishing.

PunyTrout, zzcop302 and Big Medicine like this.
  8. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I would think that the Brookies that compete with smolts would be smaller having to share food with their cousins. Yet, once they are old enough, (if they grow old enough) they would begin to use the smolts themselves as a food source.

I'm sure it's a function of time (age), food (available biomass) and mortality (anglers with two legs or more, sharp teeth or having wings and talons or a sharp bill). e.g. A Brook Trout living in a small, sterile stream that is 5 years old might reach 13 inches in length. But a 5 year old Brook Trout living in a pond or lake with great biomass might reach 18 inches long. Dunno.

They are fun to hunt though.

Trout King, Big Medicine and zzcop302 like this.