Up-to-date satellite maps

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Dantana, Oct 16, 2020.

1. bioactive

bioactive Tornado Jim Premium Member

I have it Steve. OnX is well worth the having. Can view on phone or online. Shows plat information.

2. bioactive

bioactive Tornado Jim Premium Member

For years I just drew my changes on an aerial using Adobe Photoshop. Does not need to be exact.

3. Deskjockey1

Deskjockey1

I purchased OnX for my recent archery elk hunt in Colorado. It was one of my top pieces of 'gear' for the trip. I used my phone in place of my GPS. I was able to save an offline map, put my phone on airplane mode, and use it as a GPS. I marked wallows, bedding areas, side x side parking, camp, etc.

4. Dantana

Dantana

Thanks Bio. The majority of my changes have been turning an 8 acre field back to old field habitat and you - and your book - were a big part of that decision! Next step is to screen the small plots within the field with switchgrass and spray the existing cool season grasses to encourage more forbs.

bioactive and jparks02 like this.
  5. Dantana

Dantana

I think a survey is in order for next spring. The property has been in my family since 1984 and we've never had any problems. New owners come in this year and surprise, a stand in our tree. When I confronted him, he said the real estate agent told him the trees were his :mad:

6. smith34

smith34

My best luck is to get the wife’s uncle to do some excavating work....did it one day at the hunting property, and boom! Photo of him working....2 years later, have him do some work at the house and boom! Photo of him doing the work! Getting to be the point I need him out again so I get new updates!
    Seriously though, bounce around every source you can find...house and property are 5 miles apart and different sources have different generations of photos available, so, the best one for one person may very well not be the best one for the next! Try places like: google, bing, Apple Maps, your local gis, terraserver, onyx, HuntStand, etc....the list is almost endless and eventually you may find a photo that is from within the last 2-3 years, maybe, depending on your location. Nobody really updates more than every couple/few years...other than maybe your tax collector and county accessor...which you can buy printouts from the county normally too.

Dantana and jparks02 like this.
  7. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

Had that happen and new neighbor was hostile UNTIL a surveyor that he hired said that (he) the new neighbor had been cutting my trees. He humbly said the utility company and a nearby clerk told him where the line was. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    jiggin is livin and jparks02 like this.
  8. Jet08

Jet08

I use an app called BaseMap. Similar to OnX just a little different flavor. It's considerably cheaper and gives access to the whole country. I have been happy with it.

jparks02 likes this.
  9. My Huntstand app has the latest, similar to onx but one nice extra feature you get all 50 states for the same price as MICH only onx. good luck

jparks02 likes this.
  10. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Take a trip to your local Farm Services Agency. Typically speaking they have the latest images so they can monitor acreage payments or USDA compliance.

jparks02 likes this.
  11. brewster

brewster Premium Member

When the house was built behind me, a couple stands showed up on my property.

I took the stands down and put them in my barn. When he came to get them he thought it was on his FILs property.

I said when you climbed over the fence, you knew you left your property.

No problems since. The survey really helped.

12. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Why wait until spring?

Maybe offer to get a survey with the "loser" paying for it. What do you have to lose? If he agrees and you are in error, you were going to pay for one anyway. If he agrees and he is in error, you get a survey and it costs you nothing.

When I bought my property I had a neighbor who insisted a survey pin was in error and an old pipe maybe 60' feet east and 20' south onto my property was actually the corner. I told him I would have it surveyed again and if his pipe was correct I would pay for the survey, if the existing survey corner that was put in 30 years previous was correct, he would pay for it. He backed down. FM

13. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

OnX does all that too.

@StevenJ, it is $36 (if I remember correctly) for the year. It is definitely worth it.

jparks02 and StevenJ like this.
  14. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

If those asssholes can get updated pics constantly just to suck more money out of property owners, it should be law that they have to publish those pics FOR FREE. God knows we pay enough for them. F'n taxes! :mad:

polish.polka.prince likes this.
  15. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

Thanks for the comments about OnX.

Believe me, cost is a zero issue.

Back to the OP questions and Luv2HuntUp's response:

I understand it is about understanding the flyover picture. As time goes on and you get more clarity about your own property, getting a fly-over view is less necessary.

It's pretty normal to have that initial frustration and try to figure out best plans. After time, it becomes a sense of just getting it and what needs to be done.

In my opinion, the way to reassure yourself is to get other guys to come to your property, outside of hunting season to come over and tour your property and give you opinions. That's what we used to do a decade ago, and it is a spectacular option. Get others from MSF, and others to do a property tour. Make friends that way... And get out and walk around in January through August. Have a whitetail deer social circle. And cultivate it.

I don't mean to take away from the intent of the OP. I just know every ten square feet of my property and I don't need plat maps. I don't hunt elsewhere where the terrain is mysterious. I know my proximate neighbors. I don't want extra extraneous apps on my phone.

I have my son in law hunting my farm (he's awesome), and he did send me some screenshots for OnX. It's cool.

And, so, I do endorse others should use it.

And I do use Accuweather Premium app to see weather.

As an aside, do any of you use Jeff Sturgis' App for weather changes? I don't know anything about that either.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    jparks02 and Luv2hunteup like this.