UP Sprng Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by MT2MI, Jan 6, 2018.

1. MT2MI

MT2MI

Hello,
    I live in Manistee and will be traveling across the UP in late April on my way to Duluth. I would love to try to catch a UP steelhead from either a Lake Michigan or Superior trib. Any suggestions on rivers/streams to target would be great. No locations requested just name of a stream that would likely have steelhead to target via wading during that time would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. Teggs

Teggs

Your only alowed to mention the chocolay, st. Marys, menomonee, two hearted an Onto for steelhead rivers on this particular forum. All of them are good

itchn2fish and PunyTrout like this.

3. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Another easily accessible river on your way if you take US 2 is the...

Imagine you take a month long trip into the wilderness and realize you really need a shower. "Man! I stink!" ... Yeah, it rhymes with that.

Good luck.

Andy G, itchn2fish and Munuscool like this.
  4. MT2MI

MT2MI

Thank you! If it is possible to PM regarding other streams here worth exploring that would be great. But I understand the need/desire to limit things. This gives me a place to start for sure!

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Check out the 2014 stocking report on the Ontonagon....

that is where I hope to head this spring

itchn2fish likes this.
  6. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

In a general sense, to figure out which stretches of water have runs from the Great Lakes, just read the DNR fishing regulations and consider all of the Type 4 streams.

itchn2fish likes this.
  7. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

Just about everything that has any amount of flow to it has spring steelhead.

PerchPatrol, osmerus and itchn2fish like this.
  8. jmodyb

jmodyb

Friendly reminder, Most of them are not open until the last Saturday in April

itchn2fish likes this.
  9. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Type 4 Streams are specifically open for Steelhead and Salmon year-round. There are Steelhead in some non-Type 4 streams, but you can be assured that a Type 4 stream will have a run of Steelhead, that is pretty much the point of the designation. Type 3 is also open year round, including for larger Brook and Brown Trout.

Type 4 is blue on the Type maps, Type 3 is orange:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_63235-211883--,00.html

10. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Do you want to fish for fish in a wild environment, or fish the US-2 stream where:" I CAUGHT one nice fish by the abandoned washing machine and two more where all the re-bar and broken concrete is, saw two nice fish by the partially submerged bicycle frame, but couldn't get either of them to take!"

11. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

You mean that the 'Whirlpool' the locals speak of is just a reference to the brand name of a discarded appliance? :lol:

Stand By, PerchPatrol, jmodyb and 5 others like this.
  12. fishrod

fishrod

Hey, what kind of snow depths do you guys have about now? Are the rivers getting high or do you still need some of it to melt.

13. Superior Outfitter

Superior Outfitter Sponsor

We still have a a good amount of snow in my area and even more inland. Lk. Superior streams are still low and clear. Lk. Mi streams bumped up a bit in flows, but nothing too significant yet.It is going to be a little while according to the extended forecast.

14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1520300942.649695.jpg

Munuscool likes this.
  15. MT2MI

MT2MI

Well, headed north this weekend. Im sure things are behind up there way, but gonna give it a try and have fun exploring. Thanks for all the info everyone!

jmodyb likes this.