Up north dining

Discussion in 'Cooking and Brewing' started by zig, Jul 25, 2014.

1. fishdip

fishdip

They have very good pizza.

2. fishdip

fishdip

Referring to Shorts.

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Blue Fish in Manistee is outstanding.

jr28schalm likes this.
  4. deepwoods

deepwoods Premium Member

Another vote for Turkey Roost! Desi's in Oscoda is a favorite of ours too.

5. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    This is an old thread, let me update my recommendation by adding Moose Jaw Junction in the middle of nowhere between Pellston and Cross Village. If you need cell service, just walk out the front door and stand in the middle of the road and you'll get it.

They have a great friday fish fry, beer brewed especially for them by Petoskey Brewing, good food at good prices, great staff and an owner who greets you at the door and genuinely is happy to see you and thanks you for coming.

petronius likes this.
  6. shooter 50

shooter 50

WHEN YOU WALLEYE FISHERMAN ARE IN BAY CITY TRY OUT KRYSZIAKS RESTAURANT IN THE SOUTH END OF BAY CITY .THEY HAVE A BUFFET FOR LUNCH AND DINNER AND THEIR PRICES FOR TAKE OUT FOOD AINT BAD EITHER!ACTUALLY SEEN MARK MARTIN AND HIS ICE FISHING TEAM EATING THERE GO FIGURE.

General Ottsc likes this.
  7. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    I've eaten there a couple of times, I like it and it's worth the money.

8. MIoutdoorsjunkie

MIoutdoorsjunkie Premium Member

Not really breakfast, lunch or dinner (I guess it could be all three)

Gustafson's smoked fish (gas station) on hwy 2 in Brevort, MI. Great Jerky and smoked fish

Jean Kay's Pasties in Marquette, MI

Toni's Country kitchen in Laurium, MI for Pasties and baked goods

9. growninmi

growninmi

Gustafsons is a great stop. Other than it's gotten so damn expensive. For last 20 years or so we still order a couple times a year and have some jerkey delivered along with several stops.
    The hunter stick ends and buffalo jerkey are my go-to. The seasoning they use on the buffalo they don't use on any other meat.

MIoutdoorsjunkie likes this.
  10. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Not sure what has happened or maybe I ordered the bad meal of the day twice in a row but I hereby suspend, for the time being at least, my recommendation from post #18. Went last fall and my meal was very disappointing, but that happens everywhere on occasion. Went back yesterday and trying to be as polite as possible with my review; the fish platter was marginal at best. The shrimp was over breaded and over done while the clams were crispy pretzels that even a slathering of tartar could not resurrect. My wife said her steak sandwich was not what she expected either. Maybe the prime rib special would have been better, it sure looked good.

I will give it one more try but in the meantime when I want to go on a road trip for a meal I'll hit up Yooperman's just down the road. Had a great meal there a couple months back. FM

11. bigmac

bigmac

Sporty’s on 13 in Pinconning has some of the greatest wing sauces I have ever had.
    I can’t wait to have a “green pepper” pasty from the Mohawk Superette when I get to my camp for the summer in the Keweenaw.

Steve likes this.
  12. JBooth

JBooth

Rogers City has a new one. UP North 23 Restaurant and Lodge. I'm guessing its a top 3 restaurant in the NELP. Can't think of much that comes close. Dishes are slightly more complex than most places but nothing that is out there or that locals won't eat. The kicker is that every technique, every detail is perfect when it comes to the food. My two experiences were phenomenal.

13. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I’ll have to give it a try.

14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I took my wife and her sister out for dinner there tonight. Thanks for the recommendation. They opened up 11/14/17.