Up north dining

Discussion in 'Cooking and Brewing' started by zig, Jul 25, 2014.

1. zig

zig

Just got back from an extended stay up north. We left last Wednesday night to go to Allison Krauss and Willie Nelson on Thursday, came back Friday, picked up our kids and headed back up to Bay Harbor for 5 nights. Anyway, I am a "foodie" as they say. We travel all over and I've been to some of the purported best restaurants in the country, Michelin stars all that hoopla. Anyway, I had two experiences over this past 9-10 days that really stood out and I will remember for a long time. Hermann's in Cadillac. I've been there before, but it was years ago. Anyway, the Gooey Burger. Ridiculous. Over the last few years I moved a little away from making complex dishes, to trying to perfect really simple things, like hamburgers, fish n' chips, pizza crust, etc. The Gooey Burger at Hermann's is darn near perfect. And his mushroom soup is probably the best I've ever had. My wife had his potato pancakes and they too were probably the best I've ever had. His attention to ingredients and making simple things as perfectly as possible is unbelievable. The other experience I had was Walloon Lake Inn. Everything there was awesome. Oysters, Lobster pierogies, shrimp and grits. All of it outstanding. Anyway, just thought I'd share my culinary highlights from my trip "up north."

DeerManager likes this.
  2. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    When your back up, try the Argonne House out towards Charlevoix off of 31 and get the all you can eat shrimp, or the Dam Site Inn near Pellston and their chicken dinner.

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Robert Holmes likes this.

3. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Pearls in Elk Rapids. One of the best of the best Michigan has to offer.

4. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    The same owners own The Red Mesa in Boyne City.

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. petronius

petronius

This thread should be made a Sticky. As the thread grows, it can be a good source of information for us and others as we travel through the state. Some of us like to take in a really decent place at least once during hunting and fishing trips.
    What do you say ESOX?

6. Waz_51

Waz_51

This might be common knowledge, but take your pick of some of the restaurants on the Old Mission Peninsula... Definitely some good eats up there!

7. zig

zig

Agreed!! That would be awesome! One other place I didn't mention was Chandler's in Petoskey. Best tuna sandwich I've ever had........

8. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Apache Trout Grill in TC is pretty good fair too.

DeerManager likes this.
  9. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Oscar and Joey's Roadhouse in Birch Run isn't 5 star, but it has some unique plates (alligator, Elk, Venison, wild boar, and buffalo) and the inside does not match the dilapidated outside...check them out for a good dive bar experience.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  10. flyting

flyting

Great food with a unique atmosphere.

11. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

12. petronius

petronius

13. stickman1978

stickman1978

Navigator in Downtown Munising M28 best Fresh White Fish Dinner.

14. NATTY BUMPO

NATTY BUMPO

AND the Red Mesa in TC too.

15. NATTY BUMPO

NATTY BUMPO

Since TC is our hometown, I'll give you some of our fave eateries.

Apache Trout Grill is an old time special place for my wife and I ie. birthdays and anniversaries. The place is getting quite pricy these days and its an absolute mad house from the time school is out till leaf peeper season is done. They do everything very well and have never had a bad meal there. Just be ready to wait a couple of hours to be seated during tourist season.:(

For Northern Italian, Tuscan Bistro just up the road from ATG.

On Front Street down town, Amical or Red Mesa.

For a killer view, Aerie on top of the GT Resort in Acme.

For a good steak, I dunno what to tell you. Mode's on State used to be the best in town but its got new ownership and the food and service have slipped badly. Long Lake Inn is merely OK these days and Copper Falls (new place) stinks.

And for comfort food, The Cottage on East Bay is quite good, on the site of the old Mabels. Excellent GL perch dinner.

And sadly, many of the best restaurants around TC are now gone, gone, gone. :rant: Bowers Harbor Inn, Hanna's on Cass, Le Bear up in Glen Arbor right on Lake Michigan and especially, Windows on West Bay. Windows was our very favorite and also many of our friends. They tore the place down and built a butt-ugly Spanish hacienda monstrosity on the site. Grrrrrrrr....:rant:

NB