UP hunting.. horrible or just me?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by alfred_in_cedar, Nov 18, 2020.

1. alfred_in_cedar

alfred_in_cedar

Sitting in my blind at the moment. This will be day four of dark to dark hunting.

Is the hunting this year in the UP has bad as I believe it to be or is it just me? This is unbelievable they're not seeing any deer. I understand that you have to hunt to get it back up here but I'm not even seeing activity anymore.

I just wonder if the youth hunt is really taking mature bucks out in an area that doesn't necessarily support buck maturity given all the natural enemies such as the wolf, coyote and winters...

I'm just getting a sore ass and nothing more.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. alfred_in_cedar

alfred_in_cedar

3. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

Dedicate a half day or day to just scouting for active sign and adjust. I don’t hunt the UP but this applies everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. usedtobeayooper

usedtobeayooper

Didn't hear much promising news from my brother, who spent the first two days at our camp near Amasa. We had a lot of hope after seeing a bunch of small bucks last year, but it doesn't sound like it's coming to fruition. Very few pics on the cameras, and the few that are showing up are all at night. He sat 2 days and saw 1 deer. No antlers.

I'm headed up Saturday for a week, and will spend a lot of time in the woods... but will likely spend far more of it on my feet than in a blind.

It's not that uncommon for us to struggle the first week up there due to HEAVY baiting from a few neighboring camps. I just don't think the deer really need to travel far to feed, and there's no pressure for them to get on the food before the others when there's a frickin' truck load delivered daily for them all to share. Drive's me nuts. Which is one reason I've changed it up the last several years and go the second week, when that stuff slows down, and most folks pack it up and go home.

5. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Darn kids shot all the deers in 2 days. Doubt any mature bucks were shot on the 45 days prior to the opener

The UP is pretty big. Where are you hunting? My buddies camp went 3 for 3 on Monday with some dandy UP bucks

SmokeShot, NbyNW, Zofchak and 12 others like this.
  6. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Why keep sitting in that spot, move. Use to hear the same thing at our local coffee clutch. One guy would be pissed he hasn't seen any deer or another guy would say he killed two bucks in 20 plus years of hunting the same stand. When I asked why they kept sitting there ,there reply was " it's a good spot" . Yea right, SMH. Hit the woods and find the deer,they have to be somewhere.

7. fishx65

fishx65

You're right about the baiting up there. Lots of locals have huge bait piles that are well established before the trolls get there. Ya just need to find an area on state land where they move to get to those bait piles. I had it all figured out when I used to hunt the Sagola area.

8. old graybeard

old graybeard

If your expecting southern Michigan deer numbers your in the wrong place. In the UP you have to go find the deer

SmokeShot, up520, vincke07 and 15 others like this.
  9. aacosta

aacosta

Lots of room to hunt the UP, also reading other posts i would say people in the UP are doing well.

10. alfred_in_cedar

alfred_in_cedar

Whether you believe it or not the youth hunt takes a lot of mature deer out of the population. I've been hunting the UP now for 30 years. This is by far the worst season. And by the way a lot of those so-called youths aren't the ones doing the shooting..

unclecbass likes this.
  11. alfred_in_cedar

alfred_in_cedar

You are right but you'd be foolish to give up a good stand after 3 days.This is only day four of a long season from my observation at least in this section of the UP there's not even any shooting going on. I'm getting the same storyfrom Munising to Marquette to big Bay..

Stubee likes this.
  12. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

Need to have confidence in your sets. I use that as my gauge when I’m out as to whether I’m in the right place or not. It’s interesting to me that when my confidence in a set is low deer numbers seem to be low. When it’s high the opposite. As soon as I start to feel the idk about this bug I know I need to spend less time hunting and more time looking again. My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Day 4? Archery season had been going on for 45 days. Maybe they shot all the mature deer. Youth hunt doesn't even put a dent in the deer population. Sorry you feel that it does.

14. Itchin' to go

Itchin' to go

I hunted Nov. 3-7 in the UP. Seen deer every afternoon, no deer in the AM. Seen a few small bucks chasing, found a really good scrape line and took a nice 9pt on the 7th.

15. Bucman

Bucman

Stop the blame game and do some scouting.