Unusual suff you've found in the woods

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by Quack Addict, Oct 28, 2020.

1. georgeb

georgeb

Many years ago, a friend and I were squirrel hunting early in the season in the Manistee national forest N.E. of Colfax and found a stand of pine trees that were cut off about 25' up. On top of each of the cut trees were 4 clay flower pots setting in wood crosses with plants growing in each. We assumed it was pot and we counted 40 or so cut trees. We decided not to hunt that area any more.

baseballdad likes this.
  2. Z-Rider

Z-Rider

There is/was a pair of trees in Marion Springs on the White Pine trail that had somehow joined branches. It was about 12 or d SRR o feet up and each branch was easily 4ā€ or more in diameter. They appear to be one branch and reach across a span of about 24-30ā€

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. aces-n-eights

aces-n-eights

Years ago, OK decades ago, i was an ROTC cadet at Summer Camp at Ft Lewis Washington. We were doing some squad maneuver drill in the woods and found an M-60 machine gun. It turns out there was a National Guard unit training in the area the day before. I can imagine the conversation...

"I thought you had the gun!"
    "No, you were supposed the have the gun!"

Might have been a fun little souvenir, but we turned it in.:)

4. dpretired

dpretired

My biggest surprise discovery in the woods took place on a big piece of private property several miles outside the town of Charlevoix on Nov. 14th., the day before rifle season opened. This took place around 20 years or so ago. I was just walking around unarmed trying to figure out a good ambush spot to sit in for opening day when suddenly I stumbled upon a dead young doe, most likely a runaway from a someone's bad shot with an arrow. At the time I thought it strange that there was a fresh looking open woodchuck hole right next to the deer's belly. As soon as I bent down to take a closer look inside the hole, this full-grown badger suddenly came crawling out and immediately put me on notice with a very fierce look on his face. We had us a little stare down going for several seconds as I slowly backed away. He didn't advance any further, just stayed right in front of the hole perfectly still, looking me right in the eye. As I kept backing up I told the animal, "Let's see you try this same tough guy stunt tomorrow when I got a gun in my hand".

But as it turned out later on that day after I took time to read the Michigan hunting guide book, badger season ends on Nov. 14th, and those animals had to be trapped, not just shot, and then immediately taken to the DNR for inspection and tagging before you could legally keep one. Just for the heck of it, I went back and sat within sight of that same hole the whole next day (the opener), and it passed with no more sightings of the badger or for that matter, any deer either. I had no intention of shooting the badger if he did happen to come out again; I just wanted to see it again. Although I never went back to that spot after that, it was still kind of neat to finally get a first hand close-up look at a genuine adult badger. Although I have read that they're not all that rare in different parts of the state, I've never seen one since then.

5. Josh R

Josh R Premium Member

Nothing as good as most of the stories above but a few years ago I found 2 clips from a Glock handgun right in the middle of a trail in the Gladwin area. I tried on here and Facebook looking for the owner but they never were found

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

Probably cause nobody knows why a glock would have a "clip"

Former grunt, 58hydraglide and 6Speed like this.
  7. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Ha, ha

8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I found an ejection seat from an F4 Phantom when I was a teenager. No body. I did notify the local Air Force Base and they said the pilot was fine.

I may have kept the survival kit and emergency strobe...

9. Martian

Martian

I have found all kinds of junk., but 2 weeks ago, tracking my 7 pt. I found him and he was right beside an OLD< OLD flashlight prolly from the 50's. Also, , in one area I hunt , I know where a couple of old snow tires are, but who on earth would cart them a 1/2 mile out to get rid of them? I use them for markers

10. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Back in the 80's I found a log stamp lying on some flat limestone along the bank of the Manistique River, a river known for it's old time log drives. Not sure why I looked down when I did and saw it because only a small portion was visible above what little dirt was on the rock. Until I got the dirt off I thought it was an old hammer head. A bit of research revealed that the mark was originally registered in Newago County in 1863.

I placed the stamp in a glass case at the office along with some other unusual things I had located and immediately a young temporary worker wanted to buy it from me. Told him it wasn't for sale at any price. At least once a week he would say how much he wanted to buy it but I kept saying no.

I was off on a Friday, his last day with us before moving to Lansing. I noticed it missing first thing Monday morning. If he sold it, I hope the check bounced! FM

11. TCpat&trout

TCpat&trout

I was dove hunting the border fence by El Paso last fall. I dropped a dove in the thick stuff right around the river. I went down to find it and was unsuccessful. Climbing up the bank I found a backpack. I figured there would be something cool in it but it was empty. I tossed it down and right next to it was a rusty meat cleaver half buried in the muck. I grabbed it, cleaned it up and use it all of the time. IMG_0640.JPG

Iā€™m sure it has some stories.

A couple of weeks later I was quail hunting about a mile north of the fence in NM. I came across a half buried box. I kicked it over and there were a bunch of AK and AR mags with ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

12. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

Somewhere in the UP. Haven't the slightest idea has to how it got back there. DSCN0996 (1).JPG

13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

National weather service radiosonde launched from Green Bay.

IMG950953.jpg

14. fish RN

fish RN

Found this last week while scouting for opening day. Out in the middle of nowhere.

Attached Files: